Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepgaelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Audio/Video 
Friday, 19 November, 1999, 17:30 GMT
Homeless suffer as quake toll rises
Thousands lost their homes across Bolu province

Thousands of people remain homeless in poor weather conditions after last week's earthquake in north-west Turkey.

Turkey Earthquake
The death toll continues to rise, with official figures on Friday standing at 675 dead - up 125 from Tuesday - and 4,800 injured.

Almost all of the buildings are collapsed or uninhabitable in the city of Duzce - the quake's epicentre - about 111 miles east of Istanbul.

Officials say nearly half the 80,000 inhabitants have left the crumbled city. But they still face serious difficulties in finding housing for the remaining homeless in Duzce and surrounding towns.

People have been spending cold nights in tents or under lean-tos of plastic and timber.

Thousands are in tents; some say they have no shelter
The authorities had already been struggling to house the 500,000 people left homeless by a much worse quake which hit the region in August, killing 17,000 people.

An official statement said that more than 18,000 tents had been delivered to ruined towns and villages since November's quake.

But reports from the region said a shortage of shelter was provoking protests from increasingly-frustrated survivors.

The province's governor, Nusret Miroglu, on Friday pledged to try to get the homeless out of tents and into better shelter.

The Anatolia news agency reported that the government was planning to shelter some 8,000 quake victims in public housing along Turkey's Mediterranean coast, hundreds of miles south of the quake zone.

In all, 750 buildings have collapsed - leading to fresh anger over the quality of Turkey's housing.

Search and rescue operations continued in the disaster area on Friday, but relief workers and officials said that any rescue would be a miracle.

Nearly 400 foreign rescuers have left the area, leaving 1,300 others continuing to work alongside more than 12,000 Turkish colleagues.

The area is continuing to suffer aftershocks. Fifteen struck since late Thursday, the strongest reaching 4.3 on the Richter scale, on top of hundreds of earlier tremors, many of which were over 5.0.

The initial quake a week ago had a magnitude of 7.2 on the Richter scale.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
15 Nov 99 |  Sci/Tech
Istanbul quake more likely but unpredictable
17 Nov 99 |  Europe
Quake rescue repairs government's image
17 Nov 99 |  Europe
Quake victim found alive
16 Nov 99 |  Europe
Turkish fury over shoddy housing
15 Nov 99 |  Europe
Clinton promises aid for Turkey

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.