Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, November 18, 1999 Published at 20:32 GMT


World: Europe

Winter halts search for Kosovo victims

British investigators say the true number of bodies could yet rise

By Defence Correspondent Jonathan Marcus

British investigators searching for evidence of war crimes by Yugoslav forces in Kosovo have suspended their work for the winter after uncovering more than 500 bodies.

Kosovo: Special Report
Speaking in London, the head of the team, Detective Chief Superintendent John Bunn, said all the bodies were of ethnic-Albanian civilians and virtually all of them had been shot at close range.

The soil of Kosovo is slowly giving up evidence of the large-scale execution of ethnic-Albanian civilians said to have been conducted by Yugoslav police and military units.

The British forensic team was the first into Kosovo, arriving five days after the first Nato troops went in.


[ image: Winter is also hampering rebuilding efforts]
Winter is also hampering rebuilding efforts
Ultimately, teams from some 14 countries have been at work helping to piece together evidence for possible war crimes trials in the Hague.

Together these teams have investigated about one-third of the identified sites that are thought to contain mass graves.

With the ground frozen during the winter months, the British team has given up work until the spring thaw sets in.

But it has been able to give an account of its first four-and-a-half months of painstaking work.

'10,000 civilians killed'

Some 508 bodies have been recovered, all of them civilians, and virtually all shot at close range.

British officials say the true number of bodies in the grave sites investigated could well be higher - these are conservative figures - but the gruesome state of the human remains makes investigation difficult.

All the evidence, say the investigators, points to these people having been deliberately shot.

Some commentators have suggested that the number of bodies found is not consistent with the scale of the war crimes charges levelled against Yugoslav forces during Nato's air campaign to eject them from Kosovo.

But British officials are sticking to their assessment that at least 10,000 civilians were killed between June 1998 and June 1999.

They stress, however, that many of the bodies may simply never be found.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

18 Nov 99 | Europe
Kosovo's $1bn rescue package

12 Nov 99 | Europe
Q & A: Counting Kosovo's dead

11 Nov 99 | Europe
Belgrade 'sceptical' on Kosovo death toll





Internet Links


United Nation's Mission in Kososvo

Nato

Serbian Information Ministry


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift