Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, November 11, 1999 Published at 06:56 GMT


World: Europe

Belgrade 'sceptical' on Kosovo death toll

Hundreds of ethnic Albanians participate in a mass funeral ceremony

A Serbian official says he is "very sceptical" about an announcement that United Nations forensic teams have exhumed more than 2,100 corpses from mass graves in Kosovo.

Serbian Deputy Information Minister Miodrag Popovic said: "I am very sceptical about the figure and about the place where the figure came from."

Kosovo: Special Report
He was reacting to a statement by chief UN prosecutor Carla del Ponte to the UN Security Council in which she outlined the tribunal's work in Kosovo so far.

Giving the first concrete figure on deaths in Kosovo, Ms del Ponte told the Council that only about a third of the 529 grave sites had so far been examined, where 4,266 bodies were reported to have been buried. The teams have so far exhumed 2,108 bodies.

To date, more than 11,000 deaths have been reported to her prosecutors, but not verified.

Previous estimates suggested that the Serb forces may have left behind the remains of up to 10,000 ethnic Albanians when they withdrew from Kosovo five months ago.


[ image:  ]
Mr Popovic did not give his own estimate of the number of dead, but acknowledged that not all those killed in Kosovo were either "terrorists" or died due to Nato bombs, as the government had said at the time.

He said Serb judges could not verify the figures because they could not inspect the sites.

"Our judiciary doesn't have any access to the alleged sites, so how can we believe in what they say. They act as judge and jury at the same time," Mr Popovic said.

The UN investigators are gathering evidence relating to charges of crimes against humanity against Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic and four associates.

In her briefing, Ms del Ponte said that it was crucial to determine "the magnitude of the disaster" soon.


[ image: Only one-third of the mass grave sites have been investigated]
Only one-third of the mass grave sites have been investigated
She said that there was a continuing risk that some of the remaining mass grave sites might be disturbed before her investigators were able to examine them.

"There are also a significant number of sites where the precise number of bodies cannot be counted," she said.

"In these places, steps were taken to hide the evidence. Many bodies have been burnt, but at those sites, the forensic evidence is nevertheless consistent with the accounts given by witnesses of the crimes."

In a separate development, Nato has said that nearly 400 people have been killed in Kosovo since its troop took control of the region.

Roughly half of these were ethnic Serbs, although Serbs make up a small percentage of the current population of Kosovo.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

11 Sep 99 | Europe
German to assume K-For command

10 Sep 99 | Europe
French troops attacked in Mitrovica

10 Sep 99 | Europe
Call to protect Kosovo minorities





Internet Links


Nato

Serbian Information Ministry

United Nations in Kosovo


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift