Languages
Page last updated at 12:59 GMT, Thursday, 17 July 2008 13:59 UK

Madrid bombings: Defendants

Twenty-one of the 28 people charged in connection with the 11 March 2004 Madrid train bombings were originally found guilty of involvement, but a ruling by Spain's Supreme Court on 17 July 2008 acquitted four of those men, while convicting one Spaniard who had originally been cleared of supplying explosives to the bombers.

The ruling brought the total number of convictions over the bombings to 18. Ringleaders Jamal Zougam, Otman el Ghanoui and Jose Emilio Suarez Trashorras were given multiple life sentences.

JAMAL ZOUGAM

Jamal Zougam

Zougam, a Moroccan national who ran a mobile phone shop in Madrid, was found guilty of 191 counts of murder, and sentenced to 30 years for each one. He was also sentenced to 20 years each for 1,856 counts of attempted murders.

Finally, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison for belonging to a terrorist organisation.

Zougam was arrested two days after the attacks. He was said to have been under Spanish police surveillance since the 2003 bombings in Casablanca that killed 45 people.

Spain's El Pais newspaper said three people saw him leaving a rucksack on one of the bombed trains.

OTMAN EL GHANOUI

Ghanoui, born in Morocco, was found guilty of 191 murders and 1,856 attempted murders, for which he was sentenced to 30 years each and 20 years each respectively.

He was also sentenced to 15 years each on four counts of "terrorist carnage", and 12 years for belonging to a terrorist group.

JOSE EMILIO SUAREZ TRASHORRAS

Spanish suspect Jose Emilio Suarez Trashorras

A former miner, the Spaniard was found guilty of supplying some of the explosives that were used in the attacks.

He was sentenced to 25 years each for 192 deaths - the 191 who died in the bombings, and policeman Francisco Javier Torronteras, who died when seven key suspects committed suicide during a police raid.

He was detained on 18 March, 2004.

ABDELMAJID BOUCHAR

Abdelmajid Bouchar
The Moroccan, currently detained in Spain, was sentenced to 18 years in prison.

He was arrested at the main railway station in the Serbian capital, Belgrade, in June 2005.

He had no documentation and said he was an Iraqi immigrant worker.

Bouchar is alleged to have fled an apartment in Leganes, near Madrid, where the suspected train bombers hid after the attacks. He was accused of 191 counts of murder and 1,856 counts of attempted murder.

BASEL GHALYOUN

Basel Ghalyoun

Ghalyoun was originally sentenced to 12 years in prison, but his conviction was overturned by Spain's Supreme Court on 17 July, 2008.

A Syrian national born in 1980, he owned a Madrid apartment where members of an Islamist cell allegedly used to meet.

Ghalyoun is said to have visited mosques in Madrid frequently while allegedly recruiting members of the cell.

Two passengers from the bombed train bound for Madrid's Atocha station initially said they recognised him but later retracted, though prosecutors suggested this was because he had cut his hair and gained weight.

He was accused of 191 murders and 1,755 attempted murders.

RABEI OSMAN SAYED AHMED

Rabei Osman Sayed Ahmed

Also known as "Mohamed The Egyptian", Sayed was found not guilty of having played a key role in bombings.

Prosecutors had argued that he played a key role in organising the attacks.

He was arrested in Milan, Italy, in a joint anti-terror operation between Italy, Spain, France and Belgium on 8 June 2004.

He was extradited to Spain in December 2004, then was returned to Italy in 2005 to face trial on separate terrorism charges.

There he was convicted of having links to terror cells in Europe and Iraq, and sentenced to 10 years in prison, and then sent back to Spain for the Madrid trial.

He was acquitted in October 2007, and on 17 July 2008 that acquittal was upheld by the Supreme Court on the basis that Sayed had already been convicted in Italy and could not be charged with the same offence twice.

YOUSSEF BELHADJ

Youssef Belhadj
Belhadj was found guilty of belonging to a terrorist group and sentenced to 12 years in prison.

A Moroccan, he was arrested on 1 February, 2005 in Belgium and later extradited to Spain. He was charged with 191 murders and 1,755 attempted murders.

The authorities believe he is Aby Dujanah, al-Qaeda's purported spokesman who claimed responsibility for the Madrid attacks on a videotape days after the attacks.

He is thought to have links to a group that bombed Casablanca.

HASAN EL HASKI

Hasan El Haski
Haski, a suspected leading member of the Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group, was sentenced to 15 years for belonging to a terrorist group.

A Moroccan, he was detained in the Canary Islands on 11 December, 2004.

He had been charged with 191 murders and 1,755 attempted murders.

THE OTHER DEFENDANTS

Fouad el Morabit Amghar, born 1973, Morocco: Sentenced to 12 years

Mouhannad Almallah "Dabas", born 1964, Syria: Originally sentenced to 12 years; conviction overturned by Spain's Supreme Court on 17 July, 2008

Mohamed Larbi Ben Sellam, born 1977, Morocco: Sentenced to 12 years

Rafa Zouhier, born 1979, Morocco: Sentenced to 10 years

Antonio Toro, born 1977, Spain: Originally found not guilty, but sentenced to four years for trafficking explosives by Spain's Supreme Court in its 17 July 2008 ruling

Carmen Toro, born 1981, Spain: Not guilty

Javier Gonzalez Diaz, born 1952, Spain: Not guilty

Emiliano Llano Alvarez, born 1960, Spain: Not guilty

Raul Gonzalez Pelaez, born 1979, Spain: Not guilty; cleared of trafficking explosives by Spain's Supreme Court in its 17 July 2008 ruling

Sergio Alvarez Sanchez, born 1979, Spain: Sentenced to three years

Ivan Granados Pena, born 1979, Spain: Not guilty

Antonio Ivan Reis, born 1982, Spain: Sentenced to three years

Hamid Ahmidan, born 1977, Morocco: Sentenced to 23 years

Abdelilah el Fadoual el Akil, born 1969, Morocco: Originally sentenced to nine years; conviction overturned by Spain's Supreme Court on 17 July, 2008

Mohamed Bouharrat, born 1979, Morocco: Sentenced to 12 years

Rachid Aglif, born 1979, Morocco: Sentenced to 18 years

Saed el Harrak, born 1973, Morocco: Sentenced to 12 years

Mahmoud Slimane Aoun, born 1960, Lebanon: Sentenced to three years

Nasreddine Bousbaa, born 1969, Algeria: Sentenced to three years

Mohamed Moussaten, born 1984, Morocco: Not guilty





FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific