[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Friday, 3 March 2006, 09:53 GMT
Cannibal film banned in Germany
Armin Meiwes
Meiwes says he froze body parts and then ate them
A German court has banned the screening of a film based on the case of self-confessed cannibal Armin Meiwes.

The state court in Kassel upheld a complaint from Meiwes, 44, against the film Rohtenburg, which was due for release in Germany on 9 March.

The court ruled that Meiwes' rights as an individual outweighed artistic freedom and that he should not become the object of a horror film.

Meiwes, jailed for eight-and-a-half years in 2004, is facing a retrial.

He admitted that in March 2001 he killed a 43-year-old man and partially ate him. He was jailed for manslaughter.

Meiwes says he simply carried out a willing victim's instructions.

But last year, an appeal court ordered a retrial after state prosecutors argued Meiwes was guilty of murder.

If found guilty, Meiwes could face a life sentence.

Meiwes, a computer technician, killed and ate Bernd Juergen Brandes after posting an advert on the internet asking for a willing victim in 2001.

The film Rohtenburg, directed by Martin Weisz, stars Thomas Kretschmann in the leading role.


SEE ALSO:
German cannibal to face retrial
22 Apr 05 |  Europe
Appeal over cannibal verdict
02 Feb 04 |  Europe
Profile: Cannibal Armin Meiwes
30 Jan 04 |  Europe
Murky world of net cannibalism
30 Jan 04 |  Europe


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific