[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 November 2005, 15:51 GMT
Milosevic opposes speedier trial
Slobodan Milosevic
Mr Milosevic has been on trial in The Hague since February 2002
Former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic and prosecutors in The Hague have objected to a bid by judges at the UN tribunal to speed up his trial.

Judges suggested splitting charges relating to the 1999 conflict in Kosovo from those covering wars in Croatia and Bosnia, amid concerns over his health.

Mr Milosevic said splitting the case into separate trials would be unlawful.

The 64-year-old's trial for war crimes has had a number of delays because of his ill-heath.

It was adjourned two weeks ago when Mr Milosevic told the judges he was too ill to continue the session.

The trial of the former leader, who has a heart condition, has been running at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) for more than three years.

'Unlawful acrobatics'

The hearing to consider the proposal to separate the indictment on Kosovo so that part of the trial could be concluded came after the recent postponement.

But the former leader said that splitting the landmark case was "illogical and unlawful acrobatics".

Mr Milosevic said the proposal meant his defence was "being sabotaged".

Prosecutor Geoffrey Nice said there could be no question of delaying or dropping any element.

"This is a case that has to be seen as a whole," he said.

Before Mr Milosevic won the right to conduct his own defence last year, proceedings were interrupted 15 times.

Mr Milosevic was in office for 13 years until 2000. He faces life imprisonment if found guilty.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific