The former chief of the Yugoslav armed forces, Gen Nebojsa Pavkovic, has left Serbia for The Hague to surrender to the UN war crimes tribunal.
Gen Pavkovic (right) was one of Slobodan Milosevic's trusted allies
He gave himself up to the Serbian authorities on Friday.
Gen Pavkovic is accused of ordering the execution of ethnic Albanians during the war in Kosovo in the late 1990s - a charge which he denies.
In The Hague, the trial of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic has resumed.
The trial was adjourned last week because of Mr Milosevic's ill health. Doctors said he had dangerously high blood pressure.
As the case resumed, Mr Milosevic berated the court for trying to press ahead with witness testimony in his absence, saying: "I think my rights have been infringed."
Gen Pavkovic - once one of Mr Milosevic's most trusted allies - boarded a plane on Monday to take him to the Netherlands.
He was accompanied by doctors and was expected to stop for a medical check-up in Rotterdam before presenting himself to the tribunal.
Gen Pavkovic, 59, was indicted along with three other army and police officers, accused of planning and executing a "deliberate and widespread or systematic campaign of terror and violence directed at Kosovo Albanian civilians".
Two of the other accused have already surrendered to the tribunal, while the third is still in hiding.
The Serbian government said Gen Pavkovic was an "honourable soldier who has devoted his life and honour to his country".
The European Union says the surrender of key war crimes suspects is one of the pre-conditions for closer ties between Brussels and Belgrade.