[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Sunday, 30 October 2005, 04:55 GMT
Silent march follows Paris riots
The father (r) of one of two young boys whose deaths prompted riots in Paris
The march was led by the families of the dead boys
Hundreds of people have taken part in a silent march through a suburb of Paris in memory of two teenage boys whose deaths sparked two nights of violence.

The crowds blamed police for the deaths of the two boys, electrocuted when they climbed into an electrical station.

Reports say the boys were trying to evade police, but local officials deny they were being chased when they died.

Meanwhile the unrest continued for a third night, with nine youths arrested after about 20 cars were set alight.

'Shot fired'

There were no clashes with police, unlike previous nights, on Saturday but several youths were seen throwing petrol bombs and other missiles in the district of Clichy-sous-Bois.

About 300 police have been deployed to the area to maintain a law and order and will remain until further notice, officials said.

Police detained 14 people after Friday night's clashes, which officials said saw 15 police officers and one journalist injured, and a shot fired at a police van.

Marchers walk past shell of car burnt out in riots
The area where the violence took place has many immigrants

Thursday's violence broke out after youths attacked firefighters who had been called in to help the two victims, who were aged 15 and 17, and a third youth who received serious burns.

Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy said police were in the area investigating an attempted robbery at the time, but insisted that the three had not been "physically pursued" by the police.

He said measures such as equipping officers with "non-lethal weapons" should be taken to counter urban violence such as that seen on Thursday and Friday nights.

Crackdown

Saturday's march was led by the dead boys' families.

Before it began, the Socialist Mayor of Clichy-sous-Bois, Claude Dilain, told the crowd that the interior ministry had promised him "an impartial inquiry so that all light would be shed on the chronology of events".

Mr Sarkozy has made it a priority to crack down on crime.

Earlier this week, he announced new measures to deploy riot police to France's toughest neighbourhoods and equip police night patrols with video cameras.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific