[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Wednesday, 2 March, 2005, 16:17 GMT
Bosnian Serb denies war charges
Milan Gvero
Milan Gvero says he will prove his innocence
A former Bosnian Serb army general appearing at The Hague war crimes tribunal has denied charges of ethnic cleansing in the 1992-1995 Bosnian war.

Milan Gvero, a former aide to fugitive commander Ratko Mladic, pleaded not guilty to four charges of crimes against humanity during the conflict.

He also denied violating the customs of war at Srebrenica and Zepa in 1995.

Gen Gvero, 67, and co-accused Radivoje Miletic, 57, who deferred his plea, surrendered to the tribunal last week.

Gen Miletic is accused of taking part in the worst single atrocity of the Balkan wars - the massacre of 7,500 Muslim men in Srebrenica in 1995.

I can say as a responsible person that I did not so much as kill a sparrow during the war
Milan Gvero

The two men "knowingly participated in a joint criminal enterprise and operation, the common purpose of which was to force the Muslim population out of the Srebrenica and Zepa enclaves", according to their joint indictment.

But Gen Gvero told the tribunal judge: "I am a calm person by nature and I am sure the truth will soon come to light. I will do my best to assist this tribunal to come to the truth."

Gen Miletic made his decision to appear before the tribunal after a meeting with Serbian Justice Minister Zoran Stojkovic, the Belgrade government said, describing the it as "in the best interest of the state and his family".

Not surrender

In court, he contested the judge's use of the word "surrender".

"I didn't surrender," he said, speaking through an interpreter. "I came here voluntarily. I am a general and I didn't surrender to anyone."

His plea was deferred for up to 30 days.

A number of Bosnian Serbs have been jailed by the tribunal over crimes at Srebrenica. Former officer Vidoje Blagojevic was found guilty of "complicity in genocide" and jailed for 18 years in January.

The international war crimes tribunal wants to see the arrest or surrender of the two most-wanted suspects - former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and Gen Mladic.

Chief UN prosecutor Carla del Ponte says Gen Mladic is hiding in Serbia, which Belgrade denies.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific