Friday, August 20, 1999 Published at 11:16 GMT 12:16 UK
Serbian authorities dismiss rally
Some 100,000 gathered in front of Belgrade's federal parliament
The Serbian authorities have dismissed an opposition rally in Belgrade on Thursday night as a failure.
Opposition leaders gave Mr Milosevic an ultimatum to step down within two weeks or face a sustained campaign of civil disobedience.
'Failed in every respect'
Serbian state run television downplayed the rally, saying it had "failed in every respect".
The government-run Politika daily, in an article headlined "Failed pro-Nato rally", said only 25,000 attended the event.
Addressing the first major anti-government protest in the capital for more than two years, Zoran Djindjic - leader of the Alliance for Change - threatened to have roadblocks erected across the country.
"We will hold our ground until our demands are met," he told the cheering crowd.
(Click here for an at-a-glance guide to the Serbian opposition)
"We want Vuk, we want Vuk," chanted the crowd, booing off-stage the man deputised to speak on Mr Draskovic's behalf.
Demonstrators chanted "Slobo go" and "red bandits", and carried banners reading "You sold out Serbia" and "Slobo, please just go".
After initial doubts over its likely effectiveness, the rally proved unexpectedly dynamic.
A police presence was visible, but not as obvious as previously feared by opposition supporters and organisers.
"We are marching to Belgrade because we want to kindly ask Milosevic to leave," said Tibor Jona. "It's either him or us."
On Wednesday Belgrade police said they arrested a man with a "highly explosive device" and warned repeatedly of possible bombing attacks at "massive public gatherings" but opposition leaders accused the government of trying to scare people from the rally.
(Click here to return)