Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, June 15, 1999 Published at 17:24 GMT 18:24 UK


World: Europe

Mass graves discovered in Kosovo

A US soldier cordons off the Kacanik churchyard

American Nato peacekeepers have sealed off the cemetery in the southern Kosovo village of Kacanik where evidence of mass murders was uncovered on Monday.

Kosovo: Special Report
Yet more mass graves and evidence of Serbian ethnic cleansing operations came to light on Tuesday.

One site was found by Dutch troops in the village of Krusa, 15km northwest of Prizren.

"We found what looks like the remains of 20 burnt bodies and it was horrible," said Mike Bos, a spokesman for the Dutch K-For peacekeepers.


Ben Brown in Koliq: Eyewitnesses say 64 refugees were slaughtered here
More evidence of atrocities was also reported in villages south of the provincial capital, Pristina. In Ribari Vogel, locals told how Serb forces had slaughtered 26 people aged six to 97.

One woman said the Serbs had killed her husband and two sons, shot her in the face and burnt down her house.

The next day the Serbs reportedly moved to the village of Hallaq, where locals said they massacred another 20 people after lining them up against a wall.


The BBC's Paul Wood: A night of horror in Kacanik
And residents of Koronica in western Kosovo reported finding an estimated 150 buried bodies - victims of a massacre of village men by Serb forces.

Kacanik investigations

There are 35 fresh graves in the churchyard at Kacanik, said to contain the bodies of around 85 Kosovo Albanians.


[ image:  ]
Reports said local people had been seen removing bodies from holes in the ground and transferring them to a graveyard. A BBC correspondent says the villagers were apparently taking advantage of the Serb withdrawal to give the dead a proper burial.

War crimes investigators are on their way to the site, and the discovery is being reported to the International War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague.

If the sites at Kacanik are confirmed as graves, it would be the first discovery of killings on such a scale since peacekeeping forces entered Kosovo.

Mixed reports

One villager said the victims, including children, were killed two months ago when Serbian soldiers threw grenades into a crowd and then shot all those left alive.


Ben Brown in southern Kosovo meets villagers who say they have survived Serb firing squads
But a local member of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) said the grave contained victims of a Serbian ethnic cleansing operation on 9 April in the neighbouring village of Proni Rakocit.

He said that those who could run fled up the valley, but the elderly and infirm who could not were shot down by rifle and machine-gun fire from the surrounding hills.

The KLA says it cannot confirm that the graves contain the bodies of the victims of the alleged massacre, but a local doctor who was visiting the cemetery said he too believed that the elderly and infirm of the village had been killed in a massacre.

The doctor added that there had been other massacres in the area during the Nato bombing and that no-one knows who was buried in the graves.

They are all marked with numbers, rather than names.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

14 Jun 99 | Europe
Picture gallery: Changing face of Kosovo

15 Jun 99 | Health
'Kosovo graves could poison water supplies'

14 Jun 99 | Europe
Recrimination in Prizren

14 Jun 99 | Europe
Serbs flee amid reprisal fears

14 Jun 99 | Europe
War crimes investigators fly in

13 Jun 99 | Europe
Eyewitness: Watching Nato arrive

18 May 99 | Europe
Serbs accused of clearing mass graves

20 Apr 99 | Monitoring
'Nato faked mass grave'





Internet Links


Kosovo Crisis Centre

Nato

Russian Foreign Ministry

Serbian Ministry of Information


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift