Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, June 12, 1999 Published at 04:21 GMT 05:21 UK


World: Europe

US accepts 'mistake' excuse

The US was told the convoy would not enter Kosovo

The United States says it has accepted the Russian foreign minister's explanation that the entry of Russian forces into Kosovo was a "mistake".

Kosovo: Special Report
The White House said it was "pleased" that the troops had been ordered back out of the Serbian province.

The deployment came despite an assurance to Vice President Al Gore that Russian troops would not enter Kosovo before Nato.

"As (Russian) Foreign Minister (Igor) Ivanov has said, it was an unfortunate mistake and the troops will be withdrawn immediately," said presidential spokesman Joe Lockhart.

"We're pleased that they've agreed to rectify the situation. The constructive talks towards determining Russia's role in this peacekeeping force continue with (Deputy Secretary of State) Strobe Talbott in Moscow."

US officials were taken by surprise: President Clinton was alerted to the television pictures from Pristina showing the Russian entry just hours after assuring an interviewer that he did not expect Russian forces moving through Serbia to cause any problems.


Washington correspondent Richard Lister: "US officials are shaken"
Asked if there was any speculation on the reasons behind the troop movement, another White House spokesman, Mike Hammer said: "We leave it to the Russian government to determine what happened."

It is not known whether the Russian unit's entry into Kosovo resulted from a misunderstanding, or was ordered by rogue elements in the military.

A hawkish Russian general, General Leonid Ivashov, had threatened to by-pass Nato and send the troops in if it could not agree on a command structure with Nato.

US officials are seeking urgent clarification about who was responsible for giving troops their orders and why, if it was a mistake, they were not stopped earlier.

Crisis talks

Talks have continued through the night in Moscow between Mr Talbott and Russian officials on the role of the Russian presence in Kosovo.

He had left Moscow on Friday after inconclusive talks, but turned his plane around in mid-air and went straight back when he heard about the Russian troop movement.


[ image: Igor Ivanov:
Igor Ivanov: "Mistake"
The Russians have been demanding independent command of Russian peace keepers in a separately allocated sector of Kosovo.

Mr Ivanov said the subordination of Russian generals to Nato commanders, which the Americans have so far been insisting on, is unacceptable.

Russian units, he said, would not take part in an operation with second class status.

Washington is adamant that they will not be given their own sector of the province to patrol and that they must accept Nato command.

BBC Washington correspondent Richard Lister says this latest incident has only reinforced that view.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

12 Jun 99 | Europe
Russians steal a march

10 Jun 99 | Europe
Eyewitness: Inside Kosovo

10 Jun 99 | Europe
Q & A: The UN resolution on Kosovo

10 Jun 99 | Europe
Serb civilians may flee Kosovo

10 Jun 99 | Europe
KLA sticks to its guns

10 Jun 99 | Europe
K-For: The task ahead





Internet Links


Serbian Ministry of Information

Nato

Kosovo Crisis Centre

Russian Foreign Ministry


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift