Thursday, June 10, 1999 Published at 23:43 GMT 00:43 UK
War crimes prosecutor stands down
The tribunal recently indicted Slobodan Milosevic
The chief prosecutor of the UN war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia is to stand down.
Her investigators are poised to enter Kosovo to seek evidence of war crimes committed by Serbian and Yugoslav forces.
A new chief prosecutor will be chosen by the UN Security Council, which created the tribunal in 1993 to investigate war crimes in the former Yugoslavia.
The BBC's correspondent in The Hague, Gillian Sharpe, said the move signals a period of great uncertainty for the tribunal.
Mrs Arbour has been a valuable public face for the tribunal and has proved adept at dealing with the international political world.
Feeling the strain
Mrs Arbour, a criminal law specialist and veteran judge from Ontario, joined the tribunal in October 1996.
She has gained a reputation as a fiercely independent prosecutor - which has made her unpopular in diverse political circles.
Her appointment to Canada's nine-member Supreme Court had long been rumoured.
Last month, Prime Minister Jean Chretien said Mrs Arbour was feeling the strain of the Hague-based tribunal job and was missing her family in Canada.