Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, May 18, 1999 Published at 22:53 GMT 23:53 UK


World: Europe

Serbs accused of clearing mass graves

UNHCR said it needed more help from western governments to aid refugees

Nato has accused the Serbs of trying to cover up suspected atrocities in Kosovo by exhuming what the alliance says are mass graves.

Kosovo: Special Report
Nato spokesman Jamie Shea said that bodies had been removed from two such graves and reburied individually.

Mr Shea said the Serbs' alleged actions were a sign that "the Belgrade authorities are taking the International War Crimes Tribunal seriously", referring to the special court located in The Hague.

He said Nato has reports that the Serbs have dug up mass graves near Glogovac and Lipljan in central Kosovo.

"The villagers of the locality were obliged to rebury the bodies in individual graves.

"We also have reports of efforts to rebury bodies from mass graves at sites where Nato bombing has occurred, and also to rebury bodies in areas formerly controlled by the Kosovo Liberation Army."


The BBC's Nick Childs reports: Mr Shea said the Serbs would not be able to escape the War Crimes Tribunal
"If the Serbs really want to destroy the evidence, all of the evidence, then they are going to have to accumulate a lot of overtime," Mr Shea added.

At the same time, the UK has announced that it is to send a team of police forensic scientists to Kosovo to investigate sites of suspected massacres. Foreign Secretary Robin Cook told the House of Commons that the UK would play a key role in the investigations.

Kosovar men 'missing'

Nato's allegations came as a senior US official said the number of Kosovar men unaccounted for in the province had now reached 225,000 - more than twice the number previously estimated.

David Scheffer, a US ambassador-at-large for war crimes, stressed however that he was not claiming all these men had necessarily been killed by Serb forces or paramilitaries.

"Large numbers of them could be alive but the point is we do not know what their exact fate is."



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

18 May 99 | Europe
Refugee train allowed out of Kosovo

18 May 99 | Europe
The refugees who remained

18 May 99 | Europe
Kosovo relief effort criticised

14 May 99 | UK Politics
Blair: My pledge to the refugees

13 May 99 | Europe
Refugees recount fresh atrocities





Internet Links


Nato

Serbian Ministry of Information

Kosovo Crisis Centre

Eyewitness accounts of the bombing

OSCE

Oxfam in Kosovo

Latest Kosovo news - UNHCR


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift