[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Monday, 2 February, 2004, 17:20 GMT
Appeal over cannibal verdict
Armin Meiwes
Meiwes' lawyer said his client was "happy" at being cleared of murder
German state prosecutors have lodged an appeal against the manslaughter verdict handed down to self-confessed cannibal Armin Meiwes.

Meiwes was jailed for eight-and-a-half years for killing and partially eating a man he met on the Internet.

During the trial, the prosecution argued for a murder conviction which carries a 15-year jail sentence.

But the court rejected the argument on the grounds that Meiwes had followed his victim's instructions.

A spokesman for the state prosecutor's office said it was sticking to its original position. No date has been set for a hearing.

Childhood dream

According to AFP news agency, defence lawyer Harald Ermel said he was considering whether to lodge his own appeal.

The defence had sought a verdict of illegal euthanasia, carrying a far shorter sentence of six months to five years, on the grounds that it had been a "killing on request".

Meiwes killed and ate Bernd Juergen Brandes three years ago, after placing an advert on the Internet.

He told the court in Kassel that it was the realisation of a dream he had had since his school days - when he fantasised about consuming classmates.

Despite this, psychologists said he was mentally fit to stand trial.


SEE ALSO:
Profile: Cannibal Armin Meiwes
30 Jan 04  |  Europe
Murky world of net cannibalism
30 Jan 04  |  Europe


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific