Friday, May 7, 1999 Published at 01:44 GMT 02:44 UK
Macedonia re-opens border
One in, one out policy still applies, says Macedonia
The Macedonian Government says it has reopened its border to Kosovan refugees, but insists that other countries must do more to help it cope.
The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia has reassured the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) that it will continue to take refugees.
But the UNCHR is still keen to know what happened to the 1,000 Albanians who were turned back into Kosovo.
Macedonia has warned that it will still allow in only as many ethnic Albanian refugees as third countries can evacuate.
Moves to transfer thousands of refugees from Macedonia to Albania begin on Sunday, with 6,000 going to new camps at Korce in the south east.
The UNHCR estimates more than 210,000 Muslim refugees have already fled to Macedonia as a result of the conflict in Kosovo - equivalent to one tenth of the Macedonian population.
So far, a total of about 30,000 refugees have been transferred to third countries.
BBC Correspondent in Skopje Paul Wood says the border closure was triggered by Wednesday's World Bank summit not coming up with as big an aid package as Macedonia hoped for.
On Wednesday night, 1,000 refugees in the no-man's-land between Serbia and Macedonia were pushed back by Macedonian troops all the way to Serb territory.
They cannot now be seen by correspondents based in Macedonia and it is not known where they are now.
One report quotes witnesses saying there are currently 3,000 Kosovars waiting on the Serbian side.