Friday, May 7, 1999 Published at 00:07 GMT 01:07 UK
Kosovo blueprint agreed
The plan does not mention Nato forces in Kosovo
He said the shift in Russia's position to supporting the eventual deployment of a United Nations force and self-government in Kosovo showed a real peace process was underway.
But, speaking in Germany, Mr Clinton said the chance for a successful end to the conflict depended on Nato firmness, and there was no reason to change the bombing strategy.
Yugoslavia, meanwhile, has agreed to allow a team of UN humanitarian officials into visit Kosovo after a request from the UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan.
The draft peace plan provides for the deployment of "effective international civil and security presences" endorsed by the United Nations, to secure Kosovo after the withdrawal of Serb forces.
It provides for the return of refugees to their homes and the establishment of an administration approved by the UN Security Council.
Mr Clinton said there could be an agreement without Mr Milosevic being forced from power. The alternative, he said, would be for the international community to declare war and march on Belgrade, which had never been its aim.
BBC Correspondent Caroline Wyatt said the agreement suggested Nato forces might be deployed in Kosovo but not in a leading role.
Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov, answering questions after the agreement was announced, said Nato could not participate in an international security presence in Kosovo without Yugoslavia's agreement.
US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright reiterated that Nato forces - including US troops - must be at the core of any international force deployed.
General Walter Jertz said federal troops were increasingly pinned down and demoralised.
Nato air strikes had, he said, destroyed 20% of Yugoslavia's tanks and artillery.
He added that improving weather had allowed further attacks on police and army units in Kosovo.
"You will go home again in safety and freedom," he told them.
Rugova security call
The Kosovo Albanian political leader, Ibrahim Rugova, has said an international peace force for Kosovo, comprising troops from Nato and other countries, is essential if refugees are to return home safely.
Mr Rugova did not say whether he had been held under house arrest by Serb forces, as had been reported by his associates.
The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia says its Blace border with Kosovo has been re-opened and refugees are being allowed into the country again.
Government officials are quoted as saying that the decision to close the border for a few hours on Wednesday was to draw attention to Macedonia's difficulties in dealing with the huge influx of Kosovo Albanians in the past few weeks.
The United Nations refugee agency, says it is seeking assurances that refugees will continue to be allowed into the country.
Other top stories
(click here to return)