Tuesday, May 4, 1999 Published at 07:36 GMT 08:36 UK
Kosovo solution 'closer'
Russia is seen as the best hope for an end to the conflict
Russia and the US have signalled progress in the search for a solution to the Kosovo conflict.
He was speaking before talks with Russia's Balkans envoy, Viktor Chernomyrdin, in Washington on Monday.
After the meeting, Mr Chernomyrdin said the sides were now "closer" to a diplomatic solution, but White House officials stressed there had been no breakthrough.
The talks apparently focused on Nato's conditions for ending the air war against Yugoslavia.
He is due to travel to New York on Tuesday to see the United Nations Secretary-General, Kofi Annan.
In a sign of improving relations, the US said it was considering releasing two Yugoslav soldiers it is holding, following appeals from civil rights leader Jesse Jackson - who on Sunday secured the freedom of three Americans.
But after a meeting with Reverend Jackson, Mr Clinton turned down a suggestion that he contact Mr Milosevic directly.
Mr Chernomyrdin brought President Clinton a letter from the Russian President Boris Yeltsin which he said contained concrete proposals to end Nato's air war against Yugoslavia.
Before leaving Moscow, Mr Chernomyrdin said he would be offering what he called "variants" for a settlement and indicated that he might return to Belgrade after his US visit.
Mr Chernomyrdin was also due to meet briefly with Japan's Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi.
TV building hit
Mr Chernomyrdin's visit came as Nato planes carried out the quietest night of the alliance's bombing campaign on Yugoslavia.
On Monday night, Serb media reported damage to a TV station in northern Serbia and a military airport near Belgrade.
Two missiles struck a television station in Novi Sad just after 2000GMT, setting it on fire but causing no injuries.
Explosions were also heard in the Belgrade suburb of Rakovica and near the city of Kraljevo in central Serbia.
The all-clear sounded in Belgrade early on Tuesday morning.
Belgrade radio and television stations said 20 people had been killed and 43 injured.
The bus was reported to have been hit while on the road from Pec in western Kosovo to Rozaje in neighbouring Montenegro.
Montenegrin radio reported that five other vehicles - three civilian and two police - had also been hit.
The latest incident followed what Nato said was a tragic accident on Saturday, when one of its missiles hit another bus in Kosovo, killing at least 24 people.
They are undergoing debriefing and medical examinations.
The three made a brief appearance with relatives on a hospital balcony, saying they felt "great".
President Clinton may pay a visit to them during a visit to Germany on Wednesday and Thursday to hold talks with Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder.
Other top stories