Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, May 2, 1999 Published at 13:04 GMT 14:04 UK


World: Europe

Nato 'regret' for bus deaths

The explosion blew half the bus off the bridge

Nato's senior military officer, Klaus Naumann, has expressed regret over the air strike which killed at least 24 bus passengers in Kosovo on Saturday.

But the alliance said the bridge on which it was travelling was a legitimate military target, and indicated no change in tactics.

Kosovo: Special Report
The Yugoslav media says more than 40 people died when the bomb hit the bus at Luzane, splitting it in two and scattering bodies over a wide area.

An AFP journalist, who went to the scene an hour after the Nato strike, says he counted 24 bodies.

In a separate attack, five people - including two children - died as bombs hit two villages in Montenegro.


Klaus Naumann: "Bridge repeatedly used by Serbian reinforcements"
"We regret every loss of life, but this happens in military operations and so far we .. (have done) a good job in avoiding civilian casualties," said General Naumann, who is chairman of Nato's military committee.

A Nato communique said the bridge at Luzane, 20km (12 miles) north of Pristina was a key target lying on a north-south supply route used by Serb forces.


[ image: Dead bodies were scattered around wrecked bus]
Dead bodies were scattered around wrecked bus
"Unfortunately, after weapons release a bus crossed the bridge," the communique said.

A survivor of the attack interviewed in hospital said he had "heard the planes, the blast and then everything started to burn."

BBC Correspondent Jacky Rowland said the bus seemed to have been on a regular passenger service from Nis to Pristina.

The survivor said the bus was filled with civilians, mostly children and old people, and there were a couple of soldiers on board.


Aleksander Mitic of AFP: We counted 24 bodies
According to Yugoslav media, another bomb struck an ambulance which was on the way to the bridge strike, injuring a medical worker.

There is no mention of a second attack in the Nato statement.


[ image:  ]
A Nato official is quoted as saying the bridge was a secondary target, after the pilot had been unable to bomb his primary target.

It is the second major civilian tragedy caused by a Nato bridge attack, after a train was hit on 10 April with the loss of at least 10 lives.

Five die in Montenegro

In Montenegro, an attack on two villages close to the Kosovo border left five people dead - including two children.

Montenegro's Deputy Prime Minister, Dragisa Burzan, said the government strongly protested against the action, and said that Nato needed to make a distinction between Serbia and Montenegro.

Montenegro is Serbia's smaller partner in the Yugoslav federation, and its government has distanced itself from the federal government of President Slobodan Milosevic.

Saturday's death toll in Kosovo and Montenegro brings to about 200, according to Serb sources, the number of civilians who have died in Nato attacks since the bombardment began in March.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

02 May 99 | Americas
Delight of US POWs' families

01 May 99 | From Our Own Correspondent
Macedonia's refugee underground

01 May 99 | Europe
Change in the air in Belgrade

01 May 99 | Europe
May Day speakers blast Nato

30 Apr 99 | Europe
Crisis 'on verge of solution' - Chernomyrdin

30 Apr 99 | Europe
UN rights chief slams Nato bombings

30 Apr 99 | Europe
Refugees speak of slaughter at Meja

30 Apr 99 | Europe
Belgrade under fire - in pictures





Internet Links


Nato

Serbian Ministry of Information

Kosovo Crisis Centre

UNHCR Kosovo news

OSCE


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift