Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, May 2, 1999 Published at 13:42 GMT 14:42 UK


World: Europe

US prisoners freed

Heading home: Officers Gonzales and Ramirez

Three US soldiers captured by Serb forces have been released by Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic.

They were handed over to American civil rights campaigner Jesse Jackson, who visited Belgrade to make a personal plea to the president.

Kosovo: Special Report
In other developments, Nato has admitted losing two warplanes and accidentally attacking a bus carrying civilian passengers, with heavy loss of life.

The three prisoners-of-war were captured by Serb forces on 31 March on the Yugoslav-Macedonia border.

The men, still wearing their combat fatigues, were put on a bus in Belgrade surrounded by the international press.


Correspondent Mike Williams describes the men's release
The soldiers had stood solemnly with their hands behind their backs while a brief signing ceremony to formally mark the transfer was held at a military headquarters in Belgrade.

They then spoke to their families on a mobile phone passed to them by the Rev Jackson.

He said: "All of them said 'I'm free' and 'I love you'. That was their message."


[ image: Phoning home: Staff Sgt Christopher Stone]
Phoning home: Staff Sgt Christopher Stone
Rosie Gonzales, mother of one of the men, said: "I thank him [Jesse Jackson] from the bottom of my heart because he said he was determined to go there."

Rev Jackson travelled to Belgrade with a delegation of religious leaders to plead for the soldiers' release.

The three, Staff Sergeant Christopher Stone, Staff Sergeant Andrew Ramirez, and Specialist Corporal Steven Gonzales, had been stationed in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Maceonia when they were captured.


Parminder Sandhu: "Celebration for the POWs, but the bombing continues"
They are being taken to Zagreb, in Croatia, where they will be flown to the US base at Ramstein in Germany for de-briefing and to be reunited with their families.

As the men drove across the Yugoslav border into Croatia Spec Corp Gonzales said: "It's good to be free."

Letter for Clinton

Rev Jackson said President Clinton had called to congratulate him on the soldiers' release.

The civil rights leader is due to meet Mr Clinton on Monday, when he will deliver a letter from President Milosevic. It is said to offer a face-to-face meeting between the two presidents.

Yugoslav news agency Tanjug reported on Saturay: "The president took the decision in support of Jesse Jackson's peace efforts.


Diplomatic Correspondent Humphrey Hawksley: "No let up in Nato's campaign"
"We do not see [the soldiers] as enemies but victims of war and miltarism."

Rev Jackson said he hoped the soldiers' release would bring a diplomatic response, not just a military one.

But his call for a night of peace to mark the release was not heeded by Nato, which carried out a further night of attacks.

(Click here to see a map of recent Nato strikes)

Nato officials have welcomed the release, which came just hours after the alliance lost its second plane of the conflict.

Two planes lost

The F-16 crashed over western Serbia during an overnight raid.

Nato says it suffered engine failure, while Serbian media reported it shot down.

The pilot was rescued by allied forces after he ejected in an area near the Croatian border. He was taken to a Nato base for a medical examination.

A few hours after the crash, Nato admitted losing another plane - this time an American Harrier. It was said to have crashed in the Adriatic while on a training mission. The pilot was rescued.

The F-16 is the second warplane Nato has acknowledged losing over Yugoslavia since it began its air attacks more than six weeks ago. The first was an F-117 Stealth fighter on 27 March.

Bus bombed


[ image: Smouldering wreckage of the bus]
Smouldering wreckage of the bus
Nato has also admitted that one of its aircraft attacked a bridge in Kosovo and hit a civilian bus carrying dozens of passengers.

The alliance said early on Sunday that it had fired on the bridge and accidently hit the bus. Tanjug said 40 people died.

A journalist for the French news agency, AFP, who visited the site, said 24 people appeared to have been killed.

The Nato statement said it targeted the Luzane bridge as a "key north-south supply route for Yugoslav military and special police".

The statement says "unfortunately, after weapon release a bus crossed the bridge".

'Ambulance hit'

The bus, on a regular passsenger service between Pristina and Nis, was cut in two by a missile as it approached a bridge near Luzane, 20km (12 miles) north of Pristina.

One section plunged off the bridge onto fields below. The other portion remained burning on the bridge for more than an hour.

Passengers' belongings were strewn along the road and riverside.

Tanjug reported that an ambulance sent to the scene was hit in a second Nato strike. Nato says it has no information about this, and is still investating the incident.

On the diplomatic front, a US Congressional delegation says it has secured the agreement of a team of senior Russian lawmakers and an adviser to Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic on a framework to resolve the Kosovo crisis.

Congressman Curt Weldon says the plan complies with Nato's conditions for stopping Operation Allied Force but also takes into account Russian and Serbian concerns.

Other top stories



[ image:  ]

(click here to return)





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

02 May 99 | Americas
Jesse Jackson - man of many missions

02 May 99 | Europe
Nato 'regret' for bus deaths

02 May 99 | Americas
Delight of US POWs' families

02 May 99 | Europe
The three US soldiers: A profile

01 May 99 | Europe
Change in the air in Belgrade

30 Apr 99 | Europe
Refugees speak of slaughter at Meja

02 May 99 | Europe
Nato loses two planes





Internet Links


UNHCR Kosovo news

OSCE

Nato

Serbian Ministry of Information

Kosovo Crisis Centre

Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/Push Coalition


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift