Tuesday, April 27, 1999 Published at 17:37 GMT 18:37 UK
Red Cross sees US soldiers
The soldiers appeared battered and bruised on Serb TV
A Red Cross team has made its first formal visit to the three captured American soldiers being held in Yugoslavia, after more than a month of diplomatic manoeuvring.
The two-man delegation - including a doctor - said their condition was satisfactory.
Now that the first formal meeting under the terms of the Geneva Convention has been carried out, the Red Cross hopes to visit the prisoners of war on a regular basis.
The Red Cross had been trying to meet the men for nearly a month, since they were captured on the Yugoslav-Macedonian border on 31 March.
Our correspondent says the visitors were able to stay as long as they wanted with the soldiers, checking their personal details and relaying messages from their families.
The International Committee of the Red Cross was granted permission to resume operations in Kosovo on Monday. Hundreds of thousands of people are reported to be in desperate need of humanitarian aid there.
The Red Cross pulled out of Kosovo after Nato air raids began on 24 March.
The pictures, taken by a German member of the international OSCE observer mission, show some 15 bodies lying in what appears to be a farmyard in the village of Rogova.
Mr Scharping said the photographs were taken on 29 January shortly after the killings occured. "This makes clear the degree of brutality used when all this began and which is continuing," he said.
The United States and Russia have promised to keep working together to resolve the Yugoslav crisis.
The BBC Moscow correspondent says it is clear that Russia and Nato still disagree on many important points, and the talks seem to have ended without any major breakthrough.
The Russian Foreign Minister, Igor Ivanov, again criticised Nato plans for an oil embargo on Yugoslavia.
At a Nato briefing on Tuesday, however, Supreme Allied Commander Wesley Clark said that 10 ships a day were unloading oil in the Montenegrin port of Bar.
Prior to international moves to block shipments of oil and oil-based products to Yugoslavia in a bid to starve President Slobodan Milosevic's military machine of fuel, only two to three ships a day were seen at the port.
It was this increase in shipping that had prompted proposals for Nato's "visit and search" policy for ships in the area, General Clark said.
Correspondents say it is not clear how far his views are shared by President Milosevic.
Mr Draskovic, whose party is affiliated to the station, said if Mr Milosevic was behind the move, he would consider organising street demonstrations against him.
Meanwhile, Nato is investigating why a US Apache attack helicopter crashed during a training exercise in Albania. The two crew were taken to hospital.
HQ hit again
Nato' s attacks continued on Monday night, with a second attack on the Socialist Party building, which also houses the state-run television station.
Other Nato targets on Monday night, according to the Yugoslav media, were:
Other top stories