Friday, April 16, 1999 Published at 13:50 GMT 14:50 UK
Nato extends bombing
Anti-aircraft fire lights up the sky over Belgrade
US President Bill Clinton said Nato would continue the campaign until its objectives had been achieved.
But in London, there have been calls for a diplomatic solution to the crisis while in Moscow the Russian parliament has backed Yugoslavia joining a Russia-Belarus Union.
Meanwhile there remains uncertainty over the exact circumstances surrounding the Nato strike on the convoy of Kosovo Albanian refugees.
Nato cast doubt on whether footage broadcast by Serb TV showed their attack or another incident, or incidents, elsewhere.
The alliance said its aircraft had later attacked a second convoy, but had hit only military targets.
Some refugees in a third convoy reported that Serb aircraft had attacked them.
Refugee expulsions stepped up
The UN refugee agency has said there is a danger of the entire Albanian population of Kosovo being driven out if expulsions by Serb forces continue at their present rate.
He added that expulsions - which had slowed in the past two weeks - had now resumed with "full force".
Meanwhile, the BBC is launching Radio Link - a service aimed at reuniting Kosovan refugees separated from their families during the Balkan conflict.
On Thursday night, the town of Subotica, close to the Hungarian border, was bombed for the first time. Yugoslav media said Nato planes attacked two army barracks and damaged nearby houses.
In addition, Serb media said another bridge across the Danube - the fifth so far - had been struck.
But a Nato official denied Yugoslav news reports that missiles had struck a refugee centre in the Serbian town of Paracin. The official said aircraft had hit an ammunition dump in the vicinity.
(Click here for a map showing recent Nato strikes)
Montenegro under fire
In Montenegro, Nato warplanes bombed the capital, Podgorica, in their first daylight raid on the city - Nato had earlier said it would avoid hitting targets in Montenegro if at all possible
Montenegrin media reported missile strikes on an airfield outside Podgorica and a subterranean military base.
The Montenegrin Deputy Prime Minister, Dragisa Burzan, accused the Yugoslav army of provoking the Nato bombardment.
Calls for diplomacy
Kosovo ethnic Albanian leader Ibrahim Rugova has met Serbian President Milan Milutinovic and Yugoslav Deputy Prime Minister Nikola Sainovic in the Serbian Presidency building in Belgrade.
A correspondent for Sky News television who was present said Mr Rugova appeared "exhausted but well".
Nato has cast doubt on two previous reported meetings between Mr Rugova and the Yugoslav leadership, both earlier this month.
He said the diplomatic initiative had to be backed by the threat and use of ground forces and must include Russia.
Washington has reaffirmed its intention to continue the campaign until its objectives had been achieved.
President Bill Clinton said Nato would intensify its attacks on Yugoslavia.
And the White House indicated the bombing campaign could continue for months, possibly into the middle of the summer.
US Defence Secretary William Cohen said: "This is not going to be quick or easy or neat."
Other top stories
(Click here to return)