Slobodan Milosevic has denied any involvement in the 2000 murder of a rival and any links with those accused of killing Serbia's prime minister.
Milosevic's trial re-opens on Monday
In a handwritten letter, published by a newspaper, the former Yugoslav leader also condemned his trial for war crimes at The Hague, which re-opens on Monday.
Mr Milosevic, who turned 62 last week, is charged with more than 60 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.
"Just as this fake Hague court, an obvious fiasco, is a
tool of war against me, my nation and country, so are these
latest accusations (by Belgrade)," he said.
Belgrade prosecutors travelled to the Netherlands earlier this month to
question the former leader about allegations he ordered his
political opponents killed.
But Mr Milosevic refused to be interviewed as his request for his statement to be made public was turned down.
The authenticity of Sunday's letter, printed in the Vecernje Novosti newspaper, was confirmed by Ivica Dacic, an associate of Mr Milosevic.
Mr Dacic said the comments should be
interpreted as Mr Milosevic's testimony after his demand for a
public hearing with the prosecutors was rejected.
Mr Milosevic has been accused in Serbia of ordering the abduction and killing of former Serbian President Ivan Stambolic in 2000.
He also is suspected of involvement in an attempt to kill
opposition leader Vuk Draskovic in the same year.
Mr Stambolic was heralded as the politician most likely to challenge Mr Milosevic's autocratic tenure in an election.
He was abducted less than a month before
the vote, and then killed.
His remains were discovered in a lime pit during the investigation into the March assassination of
Serbia's prime minister, Zoran Djindjic, who helped defeat Mr Milosevic.
"No offence, but Stambolic was no longer of any interest
to anybody," Mr Milosevic said in the letter.
"As a politician he had been completely forgotten for a number of years, and any story he was a threat in the elections is a naked lie. It is absurd that I would kill him so he
would not endanger me."
Markovic is on the run
Police have also accused Mr Milosevic's wife, Mirjana
Markovic, of involvement in the killing.
Ms Markovic is
believed to be hiding in Russia with the couple's son,
Marko, who is suspected of illegal business dealings.
"Their only guilt is that they are my family," Mr Milosevic
He went on to deny ordering the assassination of Mr Draskovic, the opposition leader, in his holiday home in the sea resort of Budva, suggesting the attack was staged.
"I never believed that what happened in Budva was a
murder attempt," Mr Milosevic wrote.
"So many bullets fired
in such an enclosed space, all of them missing, well, even
with Draskovic's acting talent, it is impossible."
Mr Milosevic's security chief was convicted to seven
years in prison for organising the attack.
The allegations against Mr Milosevic in Serbia followed a police sweep against his loyalists and crime
bosses following Mr Djindjic's assassination.
Police exacted confessions from members of Mr Milosevic's elite police unit known as the Red Berets about the murders.
The paramilitaries were allegedly linked to the underworld
Zemun Clan accused of plotting Mr Djindjic's killing and have since been disbanded.
"I believed, as I do to this day, that this was an
anti-terrorist unit such as all states have," Mr Milosevic
wrote of the group.
"If any of its members had
criminal backgrounds, that was unknown to me. Neither I nor
any of my close associates had any connections to any
The prosecution at Mr Milosevic's trial at The Hague is set to focus on some of the worst atrocities during Bosnia's three-year war.