Monday, April 12, 1999 Published at 17:47 GMT 18:47 UK
No let-up, warns Nato
Preparing for action on board USS Theodore Roosevelt
Nato has reaffirmed its resolve to continue the air offensive against Yugoslavia until President Slobodan Milosevic complies with its demands for the future of Kosovo.
And in the United States, President Clinton said the Balkan conflict must be "nipped in the bud" before it spreads into a wider European war.
For the first time, the western alliance hinted that it may send ground troops into Kosovo without a formal ceasefire.
Serbian officials said there had been two bombing raids on a bridge over the Morava River - one which had cut power supply lines, and a second which hit two train carriages, setting them on fire.
Officials described the bridge as an important part of the supply lines for Yugoslav military and security forces in Kosovo.
(Click here for map of latest strikes)
US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright said after the Nato meeting that she was planning to discuss the plight of Kosovo Albanian refugees still in the province with a senior representative of the Kosovo Liberation Army.
The UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan has stepped up his diplomatic efforts to resolve the crisis. He has written to President Milosevic requesting a meeting, and will attend a European Union foreign ministers' meeting on Wednesday.
Ground troops discussed
An American State department spokesman suggested that Nato might put aside its reluctance to use ground troops in a military role in Kosovo.
He said contingency plans for Nato troops to go into Kosovo even without a peace agreement were being studied again.
In London, Ministry of Defence spokesman General Sir Charles Guthrie acknowledged that Nato planners had discussed sending in ground troops.
He said that poor weather on Sunday had hampered missions.
But he added that RAF planes had, for the first time in the campaign, engaged targets through cloud.
Correspondents say ground troops were not on the agenda at the Nato meeting in Brussels.
US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is to meet a KLA representative to hear reports of what is happening inside Kosovo.
She said: "I am meeting ... because we are constantly trying to get information about what is happening on the ground in Kosovo."
She said: "Belgrade is taking every opportunity to make a bad situation worse.
"We are concerned that as many as 700,000 people are at risk inside Kosovo. If those people are allowed to die we will hold President Milosevic responsible."
She added that the Nato meeting also discussed the longer term future and efforts to ensure Nato would not be called on again in the region.
At Rambouillet, Yugoslavia rejected all demands for a Nato-led force in Kosovo.
Some Nato governments, including the Italians and Greeks, have concerns about the use of force but are still supporting the camapign.
Mrs Albright is due to meet Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov in Oslo on Tuesday in an effort to avoid a further deterioration in relations on the Kosovo issue.
Later in the week, European Union heads of government are also expected to discuss Kosovo.
Hungary, a new member of Nato, has resolved its diplomatic row with Russia over an aid convoy.
Russia accused Hungary of obstructing the convoy because of loyalty to Nato.
Hungary held up the aid trucks for two days before deciding only to ban nine vehicles - five with armoured cabins and four tankers carrying diesel - from the humanitarian drive to Serbia.
Other top stories
Click here to return