Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, April 9, 1999 Published at 01:51 GMT 02:51 UK


World: Europe

Nato retracts media ultimatum

Strategic targets including fuel depots have previously been attacked

Nato has backtracked from an announcement that it was prepared to target Serbian television and radio transmitters unless western news was given equal airtime.

Kosovo: Special Report
Alliance spokesman Jamie Shea said radio relay transmitters being used for military purposes were on Nato's list of legitimate targets.

He distanced the organisation from earlier comments that TV transmitters would also be targeted unless the authorities allowed uncensored western news broadcasts to be broadcast.

But Mr Shea admitted television transmitters sharing sites with military relay equipment might be damaged in attacks.

Earlier, at a daily Nato news conference, Air Commodore David Wilby described the Serb broadcast media as "an instrument of propaganda and repression".

"It is has filled the airwaves with hate and with lies over the years and especially now. It is therefore a legitimate target in this campaign," Mr Wilby said.

He also demanded air-time for western news broadcasts.

"If President Milosevic would provide equal time for Western news broadcasts in its programmes without censorship, three hours a day between noon and 1800 and three hours a day between 1800 and midnight, then his TV could become an acceptable instrument of public information," Mr Wilby said.

Pristina devastation denied


[ image: Nato denies causing random damange in Pristina]
Nato denies causing random damange in Pristina
Mr Wilby denied that its aircraft and missiles were responsible for all the damage witnessed in Pristina by a group of western journalists.

The journalists were taken to the Kosovo capital on Wednesday by Serbian authorities and filed pictures and reports of significant damage to the entire city.


David Wilby: Nato has not caused random damage
"I can absolutely assure you that whilst Nato has attacked military targets around Pristina... Nato has certainly not caused the reported widespread and random damage which we believe has been orchestrated by Serbian forces," Mr Wilby said.

He said that he believed close forensic investigation would reveal the truth behind the ruins.

Aid efforts continue

Nato also said it would send 8,000 ground troops, and a mobile headquarters to Albania to provide "military support" to the humanitarian aid efforts for refugees.


[ image: Nato will support the refugee effort]
Nato will support the refugee effort
Nato spokesman Jamie Shea said the deployment, to be known as Operation Allied Harbour, would get under way by the end of next week.

He said 14 nations were involved in planning the operation.

In the meantime, Nato has continued to fly aid into Macedonia and Albania.

Mr Shea said a helicopter supply route was in place between Tirana and Kukes in Albania.

He said a Nato enabling force had established five camps in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, accommodating 43,400 refugees and displaced persons.

Nato soldiers had distributed 87,000 food rations together with building latrines, building a field hospital and providing drinking water, he said.

400 sorties

Summing up the Nato attacks over Yugoslavia in the previous 24 hours, Air Commodore Wilby said "operations are ongoing with even greater success against fielded forces".

He said Nato had made the most of improved weather, flying nearly 400 combat missions over Serbia and Kosovo including attacks on Serb forces on the ground.

"Our operation tempo and effectiveness continues to increase and I believe that our momentum is building with encouraging pace," Mr Wilby said.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

08 Apr 99 | Americas
Albright denies prosecuting 'personal war'

08 Apr 99 | Monitoring
Nato's mission impossible - Serb TV

08 Apr 99 | Europe
Where are the refugees?

07 Apr 99 | Europe
Analysis: Discord mars EU refugee effort

07 Apr 99 | Europe
Pristina - a deserted city

07 Apr 99 | Europe
Russia's 'key role' in Kosovo





Internet Links


Serbian Ministry of Information

Kosova Press

OSCE

International Committee of the Red Cross

Oxfam International

UNHCR: Latest figures

Institute for War and Peace Reporting

Nato

International Crisis Group


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift