Thursday, April 8, 1999 Published at 19:50 GMT 20:50 UK
Ground troops to Albania
The homecoming: A house in a Kosovo village burns
Nato is sending 8,000 ground troops to assist with aid efforts in Albania.
The decision was announced as Nato Secretary-General Javier Solana warned that Serbian troops might use Kosovo Albanian refugees as human shields.
Spyros Kyprianou, speaker of the Cyprus parliament, flew to Belgrade on Thursday to secure the release of three captured American soldiers.
The Pentagon earlier said it was believed the men would be handed over and flown to Cyprus on Thursday night.
Click here for a map showing Nato's latest strikes
But the Greek Cypriot politician is now staying overnight in the Yugoslav capital after Serbian deputy prime minister Vojislav Seselj reportedly said the liberation of the soldiers was out of the question. It was reported that Mr Kyprianou hoped to meet Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic on Friday.
Reports say 25-30,000 refugees trapped in Kosovo are being forced back to their homes after Serbs closed down border crossing points on Wednesday.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees says they have been found either in Albania, or on their way there.
Human shields warning
Mr Solana suggested the Yugoslav president could be trying to stop the images of people fleeing Kosovo, or that there could be a more sinister explanation.
He said: "I think he would probably like to stop these images being seen and also, perhaps, use the people who are in Kosovo as shields, probably against the air strikes."
She said: "He (Milosevic) and his henchmen will be held fully responsible for any harm that comes to the Kosovars at the hands of his troops and paramilitaries. They will be held accountable for war crimes."
The Yugoslav government has insisted that international aid agencies can have unfettered access to Kosovo to monitor the return of the refugees and declared the Kosovo Macedonia crossings open.
And in a statement on Serbian radio, the government said its security forces had ended what it described as anti-terrorist operations in Kosovo.
However, Serb forces have been seen laying mines along the border between Kosovo and Albania.
German Defence Minister Rudolf Scharping said on Thursday that dozens of Kosovo Albanians had been massacred in the previous 24 hours.
He said 35 unarmed civilians had been assassinated in the village of Sopi and that a massacre had taken place in Pastric.
He did not give details of the source of his information, but said proof would be available on Friday.
As the bombing campaign continued, Knut Vollebaek, chairman of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), travelled to Moscow for talks with the Russian authorities to find a diplomatic solution to the conflict.
Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said that diplomatic efforts to resolve the Kosovo crisis were making some progress.
'Pristina in ruins'
In Kosovo, western journalists were allowed the first controlled access to the provincial capital, Pristina.
With Serb forces still active, US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright on Thursday defended herself amid accusations that she had underestimated Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic's resolve against Nato air strikes.
In the overnight bombing, two loud explosions, both of which could be heard from several miles away, rocked central Belgrade's government quarter.
City residents attending the rock concert - aimed at preventing Nato strikes - were shown on state television standing defiant.
He also told a media briefing that Nato's campaign was severely disrupting Serbian transport routes and fuel supplies.
He said vital oil refineries had been put out of action and a number of bridges had been destroyed or damaged.
Ministers said military action was necessary "in the face of extreme and criminally irresponsible policies" and repeated violations of UN resolutions.
They also held out the prospect of EU membership to Albania and Macedonia.
Other top stories
The UNHCR says the number of people who have fled Kosovo since 24 March, when Nato began bombing Yugoslavia, is now more than 620,000.