Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, April 2, 1999 Published at 18:01 GMT 19:01 UK


World: Europe

Nato warns Milosevic off Montenegro

President Djukanovic: Federal government 'illegal and illegitimate'

Nato Secretary-General Javier Solana has warned Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic against making any attempt to topple the moderate government in Serbia's sister republic of Montenegro.

Kosovo: Special Report
"Milosevic should know that if he decides to do something of that nature...he will be stopped. We have plans to stop him if he plans to take that direction," Solana told Reuters Television News in an interview.

Asked if Nato would use force to prevent Belgrade sending troops into Montenegro to oust the government of his outspoken critic, President Milo Djukanovic, Mr Solana said: "Yes. If they are preparing to go into Montenegro."

Earlier, UK Government officials accused Mr Milosevic of plotting a coup.


Correspondent Jacky Rowland: Montenegro may be next scene of Yugoslav military campaign
"We have evidence to show that he is preparing a coup against Montenegro," Defence Ministry official Edgar Buckley told the daily briefing on the Nato air strike against Yugoslavia.

Montenegro's president Milo Djukanovic has been critical of Mr Milosevic's treatment of the Kosovo Albanians and has refused to acknowledge the federal government's declaration of a state of war.

Re-shuffle creates tension

The coup accusations came a day after President Milosevic removed the army chief in Montenegro and replaced him with one of his own close allies, General Milorad Obradovic.

Seven other high-ranking officers were also removed in the reshuffle of senior military posts.


[ image:  ]
The UK's concerns over Montenegro were mirrored by Nato's headquarters in Brussels.

One senior Nato diplomat said of the coup rumours: "It's certainly a serious possibility given longstanding efforts by Milosevic to undermine President Djukanovic and to use the current crisis to move in a more docile government".

Correspondents say the move has raised tensions in Montenegro which have been growing since the air strikes started.

Last week the American Secretary of State Madeleine Albright called the Montenegrin president to warn him of rumours of a coup against him. Appeal for calm

Montenegro is the last element of the Yugoslav federation that is linked to Serbia.


Defence Correspondent Jonathan Marcus: "There are concerns about wider security."
The small coastal republic has so far managed to steer clear of the conflicts which have battered the region since 1991, and has cautiously fostered its ties with the West in the face of severe opposition from Belgrade.

Although President Djukanovic openly denounces the federal government as "illegal and illegitimate", he insists he has no plans to push for independence.

That is unsurprising when opinion polls in the country show little more than 40% of the population wants secession.

At last year's general election, the biggest single party was the fervently pro-Milosevic Socialist People's Party (SNP), headed by Momir Bulatovic, the federal prime minister.

It attracted 36% of the vote but was kept out of office by a coalition of centre-left parties, led by Mr Djukanovic's Democratic Party of Socialists.

Delicate political balance

Some compare the situation here to that of Croatia in 1991 and Bosnia in 1992 when ethnic and political tensions exploded into war.


[ image: The crisis has seen 32,000 refugees flood into Montenegro]
The crisis has seen 32,000 refugees flood into Montenegro
"There is a serious and authentic danger that even our state may disappear and burn down in the violence," Montenegro President Milo Djukanovic said this week.

Nato has limited its air strikes in Montenegro to attacks on key air defence radars so far, but BBC Defence Correspondent Jonathan Marcus says Nato might begin to target other military bases there if an attempted coup looked likely.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

01 Apr 99 | Europe
Kosovo Albanians 'driven into history'

23 Feb 99 | Europe
Montenegro clashes with Belgrade over Kosovo

08 Jun 98 | Europe
Fleeing to Montenegro

01 Jun 98 | Europe
Montenegro made (almost) simple

15 Jan 98 | Background
Montenegro: Djukanovic profile





Internet Links


Institute for War and Peace Reporting

Nato

Serbian Ministry of Information

Kosova Press

Montenegro Links

Monte net


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift