Friday, April 2, 1999 Published at 14:06 GMT 15:06 UK
Serbia keeps world guessing on US soldiers
Steven Gonzales' parents: Hoping for the soldiers' safe return
The Serbian authorities have announced the start of an investigation into the case of three US soldiers captured by Serb forces.
It is unclear whether the three have appeared in court, or even what they will be accused of.
Belgrade officials say they could face charges of espionage or of invading Yugoslav territory.
The three US soldiers - who were paraded on Serbian television showing some signs of physical injury - were from a peacekeeping unit based in the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia.
Pentagon spokesman Ken Bacon said the three men had been inside the Macedonian border when they radioed they were under fire and surrounded. However, Serbian television reported that the men had been captured on Yugoslav territory.
Yugoslav Deputy Prime Minister Vuk Draskovic said that the soldiers would be treated "with the full respect of all international conventions concerning prisoners of war".
'They don't deserve this'
The three captured men were named as Steven M Gonzales, Andrew A Ramirez and Christopher J Stone.
"They're young men with their whole lives ahead of them who were put in a bad situation. We're hopeful for the safe return of all three of them."
In spite of this latest twist in the Kosovo crisis, President Clinton vowed to stay the course. "We will continue to carry out our mission with determination and resolve," he said.