Thursday, April 1, 1999 Published at 13:03 GMT 14:03 UK
Serbs capture US soldiers
The three US soldiers bore some signs of injury
Nato says it holds President Slobodan Milosevic responsible for the safety of three United States soldiers captured by Yugoslav forces.
Serbian television, which broadcast footage of the three men, said they had been captured on Yugoslav territory.
The three US soldiers are to face a Yugoslav military court on Friday, the official news agency Tanjug reported.
US Defence Secretary William Cohen said the US would "spare no effort" in seeking their release.
Tens of thousands of refugees continue to leave Kosovo for neighbouring territories.
Milosevic meets Albanian leader
Serbian television has shown footage of a meeting between President Milosevic and the Kosovo Albanian leader, Ibrahim Rugova.
The television commentary said the two men had agreed on the need to achieve a political settlement to the conflict.
Meanwhile, Russian President Boris Yeltsin has called for a meeting of foreign and defence ministers from the G8 group of industrial countries, to seek a solution to the Kosovo crisis.
The US soldiers captured on Wednesday have been identified as:
He described the men as "aggressors", but gave assurances they would be treated in compliance with the Geneva Convention on prisoners-of-war.
The TV images show some signs of physical injury.
The missing soldiers had reported coming under small arms fire and being surrounded while carrying out a daytime reconnaissance mission in the Kumanovo area of Macedonia, Nato said.
They had radioed for help between 1430 (1230 GMT) and 1500 local time, the Pentagon said, but their colleagues had failed to locate them.
Accidentally in Yugoslavia?
The soldiers were one of several army units guarding the Yugoslav-Macedonia border during Nato's air attacks against Yugoslavia.
But a BBC Correspondent in the region, Paul Wood, says parts of the border are not clearly marked, and it is possible that the three men strayed into Yugoslavia without knowing it.
Our Defence Correspondent, Mark Laity, says the capture is a propaganda coup for the Serbs, and an embarrassment for Nato.
He says questions are bound to be asked about what the men's vehicle was doing out of sight of other troops, so close to one of the most dangerous borders in Europe.
Important bridge bombed
The bridge in the town of Novi Sad was an important transport link between Belgrade and northern Serbia.
A spokesman said Nato's Secretary-General Javier Solana had told the military to "extend the range and tempo of operations to maximise the effectiveness of the campaign".
The Yugoslav news agency, Tanjug, also reported several explosions in Kosovo's capital, Pristina, but said Belgrade was quiet.
The head of the United Nations World Food Programme, Catherine Bertini, said her organisation had no way of reaching them, and air drops had been rejected as too dangerous.
United Nations officials said 11,000 had crossed the border into Albania within 24 hours, bringing the total influx there to nearly 100,000.
US President Bill Clinton has authorised $50m in emergency relief.
Several European countries have also pledged aid.
Foreign ministers from several central European and Balkan countries are due to meet in Germany to discuss co-ordinating assistance to the refugees.