Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, March 31, 1999 Published at 17:03 GMT 18:03 UK


World: Europe

Arkan wanted by UN tribunal

Arkan at a Belgrade folk concert: UN wants him for war crimes

The United Nations criminal tribunal for former Yugoslavia has disclosed that it is seeking the arrest of the Serbian paramilitary leader known as Arkan.


Chief Prosecutor Louise Arbour: "This is not a fresh indictment but one kept under seal"
The tribunal said Arkan - whose real name is Zeljko Raznjatovic and whose men are held responsible for some of the worst massacres in recent Balkan conflicts - had previously been on a sealed list of war crimes suspects.

"In light of recent reports of his alleged involvement in Kosovo. I have decided to make public the existence of an indictment against...Arkan," said the tribunal's chief prosecutor Louise Arbour.

Ms Arbour said the announcement was intended as an "unambiguous signal" to Arkan's associates.


[ image: Louise Arbour: Sending a message to Arkan's associates]
Louise Arbour: Sending a message to Arkan's associates
"If the public disclosure of this arrest warrant reduces somewhat the possibility of his arrest outside Yugoslavia, it will nevertheless serve to put on notice those who might be inclined to retain his services or to obey his orders that they too will be tainted by their association with an indicted war criminal," she said.

The arrest warrant had been issued already in 1997, but UN prosecutors have adopted a policy of keeping indictments under seal to facilitate arrests.

Ms Arbour said the court order to make the warrant public did not apply to details of the indictment itself. The document would remain sealed until Arkan's arrest.

Charges of atrocities

Arkan is leader of a paramilitary group known as the Tigers, alleged to be responsible for atrocities that were carried out in Vukovar in Croatia and at Bijeljna in Bosnia at the start of the break-up of the former Yugoslavia.

In the last few days, Arkan has been reportedly been seen in Kosovo, but in interviews he has said that his men would only go to the Serbian province if Nato ground troops set foot on Yugoslav soil.

He was recently seen in Belgrade, where he was quoted as saying that his men might go to Kosovo if Nato ground troops set foot on Yugoslav soil.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

31 Mar 99 | Kosovo
Arkan: Feared and ruthless

30 Mar 99 | Kosovo
Ground troops: Why Nato says no

29 Mar 99 | Kosovo
Ethnic cleansing: Revival of an old tradition





Internet Links


International Criminal Tribunal for Former Yugoslavia

Nato

Serbian Ministry of Information

Kosova Press


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift