Saturday, March 27, 1999 Published at 22:50 GMT
Kosovo refugees stranded
Women weep as they wait to registers as refugees
Fighting in Kosovo is believed to have left as many as 30,000 refugees stranded and in the open.
Reports from both Nato and the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) claim increasing evidence of people fleeing atrocities in Kosovo.
Reports, quoting residents and aid workers, speak of people being rounded up and shot and of widespread looting and burning of buildings.
The Kosovo-Albanians accuse Serbia of using aircraft and artillery against them in their central Kosovo stronghold of Drenica, and say 20,000 civilians have fled.
"There are reported to be 30,000 people in the open," he said.
"There are reports of large numbers of refugees waiting to cross the border into Albania."
UNHCR representatives in the region had reported some movement on the borders of Albania, Macedonia, Hungary and even Bosnia.
Lyndall Sachs, a UNHCR spokeswoman in London, said although there had only been a trickle of people crossing the borders so far, the outlook was very bleak.
"We are expecting the worst. The indications are that there will indeed be a mass outflow," she said.
Authorities have set up special camps to accommodate up to 40,000 people.
Refugees report massacre
Meanwhile the UNHCR said that it had received reports of a massacre of 20 men by Serb forces in the village of Goden, near Dobrune, on the Kosovo-Albanian border.
The massacre was reported to border officials by a group of 174 refugees, who said that Serb forces had attacked and burned the village on Thursday, after separating the men and women.
The UNHCR is unable to confirm the reports of the massacre but the High Commissioner for Refugees, Sadako Ogata, has appealed for all sides in the conflict to stop attacking civilians.
Journalists are unable to substantiate the reports of the attacks on villages or refugee numbers as access to Kosovo is now banned.