Thursday, March 25, 1999 Published at 13:51 GMT
Nato attacks 'to intensify'
Pristina awoke to air raid sirens and flames
US Defence Secretary William Cohen has warned that the bombing campaign against Serb targets will intensify.
He told American television he was "satisfied with the progress" made during the first night of air strikes.
A similar message came from the UK Defence Minister George Robertson, speaking the morning after the biggest aerial bombardment in Europe since World War II.
In its latest emergency measure, Yugoslavia is expelling all journalists from Nato countries involved in the attacks.
Meanwhile, a new round of Nato air raids was reported to have been launched on Thursday morning against targets close to the Yugoslav capital.
Witnesses and local media say several sites have been hit including a military airport at Batajnica and an aircraft factory at Pancevo as air raid sirens sounded in Belgrade.
Nato's Secretary-General Javier Solana has also said that strikes will probably continue for "a few more days".
Milosevic praises his forces
Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic has congratulated the air force and air-defence units for "resistance to the aggression of the Nato forces," state news agency Tanjug reported.
Mr Solana, speaking on French radio, said Nato would give a briefing later today. Asked about how long the strikes would continue, he said: "It is very difficult to give a precise duration. I hope it will be very soon. We are talking about days, not months."
A Yugoslav Government statement said they had to leave "because they, by their reporting from the territory of the Republic of Serbia, strengthened the aggressive acts of Nato forces aimed at violent destruction of the territorial integrity of Serbia and Yugoslavia".
State of war
In Yugoslavia's first official estimate of casualties, Information Minister Goran Matic said 10 civilians had been killed in last night's Nato raids. Mr Matic said another 60 were injured. He declined to give any details of Yugoslav military casualties.
Families of military personnel had died in the attacks and Serbia had declared a "state of war" against Nato, the army said.
National television broadcast pictures of burning buildings throughout the country and what were reported to be victims in hospital.
Onslaught makes history
During the night, the Belgrade sky was lit up with tracer fire from anti-aircraft batteries in what was the first attack on a European capital since 1945.
In Kosovo's regional capital, Pristina, power has been restored after a complete black-out on Wednesday night but water supplies are still not back.
Russian President Boris Yeltsin has warned that the US would be held to account for Nato air strikes against Yugoslavia.
In an emergency meeting of the United Nations' Security Council, Russia and China led condemnations of Nato's action, describing it as a violation of international law.
In an earlier address to the American people, President Bill Clinton said that the western allies had to fulfil a moral imperative over Kosovo.