Tuesday, March 16, 1999 Published at 14:37 GMT
Turkey tightens security
A wave of bomb attacks has hit Istanbul and Ankara
The Turkish authorities have further tightened security after a series of bomb explosions in Istanbul and the capital, Ankara.
"We strongly believe in the possibility that terrorist actions will continue from now on," Istanbul Governor Erol Cakir told a news conference.
In the worst attack, 13 people died when homemade bombs were thrown into a department store in Istanbul last weekend.
Mr Cakir said he was certain that the recent attacks had been the work of Abdullah Ocalan's separatist Kurdish rebel movement, the PKK.
On Monday, the PKK warned that it considered Turkish holiday resorts as legitimate targets and said tourists would no longer be safe.
The government has called for calm, in the face of increased political pressure from the PKK and opposition deputies.
Deputies who fear they will lose their seats have joined forces with the pro-Islamist Virtue Party, which is demanding an end to the political ban on its leaders.
Mr Ecevit has said the country will be plunged in crisis if the polls are postponed and has accused his critics of trying to mount "a civilian coup".
Many analysts believe a combination of hard-line Kurdish militants and radical leftists are trying to create chaos.
BBC Ankara Correspondent Chris Morris says that on balance, the parliamentary rebels are unlikely to succeed, but their efforts have added to a sense of unease at a turbulent time.