Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, January 18, 1999 Published at 16:12 GMT


World: Europe

Kosovo fighting spreads

On the march: Serb troops in southern Kosovo

Serbian security forces with armoured vehicles and heavy weapons are mounting an offensive against a number of villages in southern Kosovo.

Kosovo Section
International monitors said it may be part of a systematic offensive by Serb forces. Villagers have fled the shelling.

The latest fighting broke out in Racak, where 40 ethnic Albanians were massacred on Friday. It has spread to neighbouring villages.


Correspondent Jacky Rowland in Pristina: "Villagers are fleeing"
Artillery barrages continued throughout Monday as Serb forces moved into key positions on hills surrounding the southern villages. Small arms fire was also reported.

International monitors said there had been shelling and gunfire at the villages of Petrova and Malopoljce and Urosevac town. Fighting was also reported around Vasiljevo village in central Kosovo.

Serb police units said the operation was to track down members of the Kosovo Liberation Army, which is fighting for independence from Yugoslavia.

Military movements

International monitors have also reported Serb military movements, but no fighting, in the Podujevo area, where there has been a series of clashes over the last month.


Artur Marquadt: "Ongoing operation"
One international observer, Artur Marquadt, said: "It looks like there may be a simultaneous operation to hit three or four villages in the area. We're hoping that everybody is safely out."

Ethnic Albanian guerrillas said they had attacked a Serb patrol near the town of Kosovska Mitrovica, 40km (25 miles) north-west of the Kosovo regional capital, Pristina.

The Serb Media Centre confirmed the attack and said five policemen were wounded.

Two senior Nato generals are travelling to Belgrade to warn the Yugoslav authorities that they face air strikes if they do not end the violence in Kosovo as agreed in a cease-fire deal last year.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

18 Jan 99 | Europe
Prosecutor barred from Kosovo

18 Jan 99 | Europe
Analysis: Nato's message to Belgrade

17 Jan 99 | Kosovo
Role of the unarmed OSCE





Internet Links


Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Serbian Information Ministry

Kosovo Information Centre

Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift