BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Russian Polish Albanian Greek Czech Ukrainian Serbian Turkish Romanian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Europe  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 23 July, 2002, 22:35 GMT 23:35 UK
Mass grave found near Srebrenica
Members of the International Commission on Missing Persons in Bosnia inspect body remains found in the mass grave
The grave may contain 100 bodies
Forensic experts in Bosnia have discovered a mass grave in the north-east of the country, close to the site of the Srebrenica massacre in 1995.

It is thought the grave contains the bodies of Bosnian Muslims killed by Bosnian Serb forces after they captured Srebrenica.

Scene of the massacre
Thousands of Muslims were killed in Srebrenica during the war
So far the remains of some 15 people have been found, but Murat Hurtic, an official from the Muslim Commission for Missing Persons, said: "We have reason to believe that the grave contains over 100 bodies."

Srebrenica was declared a United Nations safe haven during the Bosnian war and thousands of Muslims flocked there to escape attack.

But Bosnian Serb troops overran the town, massacring thousands of people.

Skeletons 'incomplete'

The grave site was discovered on Monday near the Serb-held village of Kamenica, some 70 kilometres (45 miles) north-east of Sarajevo.

The commission said it had "reliable proof" that the remains were transported to the grave from another location, in order to conceal the remains from war crime investigators.

He said some of the skeletons were incomplete, and that others were found with their hands bound by wire.

More than 7,000 Bosnian Muslims were killed after the fall of Srebrenica, in the worst massacre Europe has seen since World War II.

So far 6,000 bodies have been exhumed from numerous mass graves around the town, but only 300 have been identified.

Bosnian Serb wartime leader Radovan Karadzic and his army chief Ratko Mladic have been implicated in the Srebrenica massacres.

They have both been indicted for war crimes and genocide by The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague. Both, however, are still at large.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Matt Prodger
"Bit by bit evidence of a terrible crime is being uncovered"

Key stories

Srebrenica massacre

Background

Profiles

SPECIAL REPORT
See also:

02 Aug 01 | Europe
10 Apr 02 | Europe
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes