BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Russian Polish Albanian Greek Czech Ukrainian Serbian Turkish Romanian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Europe  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Monday, 8 July, 2002, 09:50 GMT 10:50 UK
Bosnia massacre suspect held
US peacekeepers in Bosnia
Peacekepers have arrested more than 20 suspects in Bosnia
Nato-led peacekeepers in Bosnia are expected to shortly transfer a former Bosnian Serb official to the UN war crimes tribunal after his arrest on Sunday for crimes against humanity.

Miroslav Deronjic is accused of involvement in the killing of 60 Muslim civilians in the Bratunac area in May 1992 during an attack on their village.


Miroslav Deronjic is now being processed for immediate transfer to The Hague

S-For
He was also serving as an official in the town at the time of the nearby Srebrenica massacre three years later.

A number of events are due to take place in Srebrenica this week to mark the seventh anniversary of the massacre.

Village attack

The Nato-led Stabilisation Force (S-For) said in a statement: "Miroslav Deronjic is now being processed for immediate transfer to The Hague."

His wife, Danica, said about 20 men arrived in two vehicles outside their house in Bratunac and arrested her husband "in a brutal manner".

No-one was injured in the operation, but the BBC's Nick Hawton says it is likely to increase tensions in eastern Bosnia.

Mr Deronjic is specifically accused of ordering an attack on the village of Glogova in May 1992 in which 60 Muslim civilians were killed and houses razed to the ground.

Srebrenica had been declared a safe haven when the massacre happened, but Dutch troops failed to protect the people gathered there and up to 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered.

Primary responsibility for the massacre has been put on Bosnian Serb General Ratko Mladic, who has so far evaded an arrest warrant issued by the international war crimes tribunal.

Other people are also being sought to appear at the tribunal, which is currently considering the case of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic.


Key stories

Srebrenica massacre

Background

Profiles

SPECIAL REPORT
See also:

19 Jun 02 | Europe
06 Apr 02 | Europe
01 Apr 02 | Europe
10 Apr 02 | Europe
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes