BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in:  World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 13 February, 2002, 18:43 GMT
France's lost children fight back
Jean-Jacques Barbey
Mr Barbey has demanded a symbolic 1bn euros
By Hugh Schofield in Paris

France's government tried to re-populate its emptying countryside in the 1960s by a policy of forced adoptions from the Indian Ocean island of Reunion, a court in the southern city of Montpellier is due to be told.


For 30 years I lived in France not knowing where I was from, why I was different - it was like coming to another planet

Jean-Jacques Barbey
Jean-Jacques Barbey, 42, has lodged a case for financial compensation because he says he was wrenched from his home on the island at the age of seven.

"For 30 years I lived in France not knowing where I was from, why I was different. It was like coming to another planet," he said.

Mr Barbey was one of more than 1,000 children who were brought to France in questionable circumstances from the French territory of Reunion, researchers have shown.

They were then re-settled with families in remote rural areas of France like the central Creuse department.

The policy is widely believed to have been the initiative of Michel Debre, a former Gaullist prime minister and parliamentary representative for the island.

Map of Reunion
"It was quite an extraordinary operation. There is no question that the natural parents of these children underwent a degree of compulsion," Yves Guiet, a local historian in the Creuse, told France Soir newspaper.

Mr Barbey, who now works as a chef in the southern town of Narbonne, says his parents were deceived into giving him up for adoption when he was seven. He says he was then flown to France with a batch of other "deportees."

"No-one ever asked my mother what she thought. She had no intention of abandoning me. And I am convinced my father's signature was tricked out of him," he said.


To be able to say 'mum' for the first time at the age of 42 - it was magic

Jean-Jacques Barbey
He was initially given to a family in the Creuse. When that did not work out he joined another family in the north. But there - in his adolescence - he says he suffered mistreatment at the hands of his new father.

Two years ago he received a letter out of the blue telling him of the existence of his mother, a brother and a sister, and last year he returned for the first time to Reunion.

"To be able to say 'mum' for the first time at the age of 42 - it was magic," he said.

Mr Barbey's lawyer, Bernard Saumade, said there were serious anomalies in his adoption papers. Under the law he should have been formally abandoned by both parents, but this was not the case.

"The boy should never have been moved," he said.

He has asked the state for the symbolically high figure of 1bn euros. The case will not be heard for several months.

The story of the Reunion adoptions was first revealed five years ago, and since then several people in their 30s and 40s have come forward to ask questions about their origin.

But this is the first time the affair has come to court.

See also:

03 Jun 01 | Asia-Pacific
Aborigines promised apology
19 Jun 98 | Asia-Pacific
Deported children seek justice
11 Aug 00 | Asia-Pacific
Vivid memories of a 'stolen generation'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories