BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
Middle East 
South Asia 
From Our Own Correspondent 
Letter From America 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 13:43 GMT 14:43 UK
Bosnian Croats freed on appeal
Breaking News
The UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague has overturned the convictions of three Bosnian Croats who had been sentenced for one of the worst massacres committed during the Bosnian war.

The ruling said their trial had been "critically flawed".

The court also slashed the sentences of two other Bosnian Croats who had been convicted of involvement in the 1993 massacres in Ahmici, when more than 100 Muslims civilians were slaughtered.

The men's relatives in the public gallery hugged each other and cried out in joy as presiding judge Patricia Wald announced the decision.

'Unreliable' witnesses

The judges ordered the immediate release of brothers Zoran and Mirjan Kupreskic and their cousin Vlatko Kupreskic.

They also cut the 15-year sentence of Drago Josipovic to 12 years, and the 25-year sentence of Vladimir Santic to 18 years.

The court said prosecutors had built a weak case against the three members of the Kupreskic family, based on "unreliable witnesses".

"The cases against them cannot stand," the ruling said.

At the trial last year, police commander Vladimir Santic, 43, was found guilty of co-ordinating the massacre.

The other four men were convicted for planning and participating in the atrocities.

Women shot

Zoran Kupreskic, 43, was sentenced to 10 years, Mirjan, 38, received eight years and Vlatko, 43, was sentenced to six years for persecution.

Drago Josipovic, 46, was convicted of murder and persecution.

All five defendants appealed against their sentences, citing inconsistencies in witness statements.

The Ahmici massacre occurred when Bosnian Croat police attacked the village, burning many victims alive in their own homes.

During the trial witnesses said the attackers shot Muslim women and children trying to flee.

The indictment said that after the attack, there were no Muslims left living in the village.

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories