BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 28 August, 2001, 12:43 GMT 13:43 UK
Manslaughter charge over Club Med death
Children playing in swimming pool
Pool safety is a key issue for holiday companies
Two Frenchmen and a Greek worker have been charged with manslaughter over the horrific death of a boy in a Greek swimming pool.

Seven-year-old Alex Blin died after being sucked into the filtering system at a Club Mediterranee holiday centre outside Athens.

The two Frenchmen, who had earlier faced less serious charges, are now facing charges of "voluntary manslaughter with possible premeditation".

Sylvain Barberet-Girardin, manager of the Clubmed Athenia Village, and club maintenance manager Alain Gille are expected to appear befor a Greek examining magistrate on Thursday, said lawyer Nikos Androulakis.

Rescue attempt

Greek maintenance worker Yannis Dimarelis has been freed pending further proceedings, after already appearing before the magistrate.

The incident which killed Axel happened on 18 August, in a shallow children's pool. Reports at the time said a grille covering the filtering system had been removed by children.

Frantic efforts to pull Axel free failed.

A Greek pathologist who examined his body said the powerful suction equipment had caused massive internal injuries of a kind he had never seen in his 22-year career.

Early closure

Two more Greek employees at the swimming pool are thought to be appearing before magistrates on Wednesday.

The complex is being closed on 2 September, two months early, it was announced earlier this week.

Chief executive Philippe Bourguignon said in a statement that the closure would allow Club Med to help the police investigation.

"At this point, we still don't know the technical cause of the accident," he said.

Club Med ordered inspections of its swimming pools worldwide after the accident.

See also:

22 Aug 01 | Business
Boy dies in Club Med pool
26 Jun 01 | Business
Club Med in deep water
06 Oct 00 | Business
Club Med: On the sunny side at 50
26 Jun 01 | Business
Holiday pay for temps
09 May 01 | Health
Holidays can make you ill
23 Jun 01 | Europe
Pope condemns mass tourism
29 Mar 01 | Business
Travel companies face legal action
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories