BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Sunday, 15 July, 2001, 19:10 GMT 20:10 UK
Serbs say new mass grave found
Mass grave in Kosovo
Uncovering the graves has shocked many Serbs
A mass grave thought to contain the reburied bodies of Kosovo Albanians earlier dumped in a refrigeration lorry in a reservoir has been found in south-west Serbia, Serbian police say.

The grave is thought to contain 60 or more bodies, presumed to have been killed by former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic's security forces during their 1999 crackdown in Kosovo.

Meanwhile, in a separate find, the bodies of three American brothers of ethnic Albanian origin have been found along with 13 others in a mass grave east of Belgrade, according to the Washington Post.

During the Kosovo crisis, Serb security forces were accused of covering up evidence of their crimes, including trucking bodies out of Kosovo in the hope graves would not be found.

Bodies resurfaced

The grave with 60 or more bodies was located near the Perucac hydroelectric reservoir.

A Kosovo Albanian grieving
Some 2,500 Kosovo Albanians are still missing
Serbian interior ministry Captain Dragan Karleusa told the government's Bureau of Communications that the bodies had first been disposed of in the reservoir inside a refrigerated lorry. They were then moved to a mass grave when they resurfaced.

"According to our initial findings, seven bodies floated to the surface of the lake and were then removed. However, a refrigerator lorry, containing between 50-60 bodies surfaced two days later," he said.

In April another mass grave was exhumed with bodies which had earlier been disposed of in a refrigerator truck underwater, that time in the river Danube.

The three young American men had their hands tied with wire and heads covered by black hoods, the Washington Post said. They were each shot at close range.

They were reported to have lived in Long Island before joining the so-called Atlantic Brigade, a group of about 400 Albanian Americans who volunteered to fight alongside the Kosovo Liberation Army against Serbian troops.

Some 2,500 Albanians and 1,300 Serbs are still listed as missing, two years after the end of the conflict.

Serbian officials say as many as 800 Albanians could be buried in mass graves around Belgrade.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

29 Jun 01 | Europe
New mass grave finds in Serbia
14 Jun 01 | Europe
Belgrade mass grave site revealed
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories