BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 29 June, 2001, 23:05 GMT 00:05 UK
New mass grave finds in Serbia
A supporter of Milosevic holds a picture of him during a rally outside the Yugoslav parliament building on Friday
Other mass graves have been blamed on Milosevic
Seventy-four men have been found in two mass graves in a village in eastern Serbia, the independent Belgrade-based news agency Beta reported.

The revelations in Petrovo Selo, near the town of Kladovo, came a day after investigators exhumed at least 36 bodies - including those of children - from a mass grave near the capital, Belgrade.

Exhumation site
Evidence of a number of mass graves in Serbia has emerged recently
Beta quoted a local judge, who announced Friday's find, as saying that some of the bodies had wounds almost certainly caused by firearms and some contained bullets.

Judge Milorad Momcilovic did not indicate how old the graves were, or if anything was known about the men's identities. He said exhumation work was continuing and that more bodies may be found.

The bodies revealed on Thursday were thought to be those of Kosovo Albanians removed from Kosovo as part of a cover-up allegedly ordered by former President Slobodan Milosevic during his military campaign in 1999.

The revelations are believed to have swayed public opinion in favour of the extradition of Mr Milosevic to The Hague.

Exhumation continues

The mass graves in Petrovo Selo were first discovered in early June, AFP news agency said.

It quoted investigators as saying the bodies had probably been brought over from Kosovo sometime during the 1999 Nato air war on Yugoslavia.

In May the Serbian Interior Ministry revealed it had evidence that Mr Milosevic had ordered the removal of evidence which would indicate atrocities against civilians.

"Milosevic ordered former Interior Minister Vlajko Stojiljkovic to take measures in order to eliminate all the traces which could lead to any evidence of crimes committed," said Dragan Karleusa, a top official at the ministry.

Shocking revelations

Mr Stojiljkovic has also been indicted by the tribunal.

There have been a series of gruesome revelations in the Yugoslav media over recent weeks about mass graves within Serbia's own boundaries.

One lorry driver told Vreme magazine last week of 10 journeys he made from eastern Kosovo into Serbia - on one of which he found his lorry stacked to the ceiling with corpses.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Jun 01 | Europe
Serbs shocked by mass graves
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories