Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, June 18, 1998 Published at 20:48 GMT 21:48 UK


World: Europe

Croatian ex-Nazi home for trial

Dinko Sakic refuses comment to reporters as he leaves Argentina

A man accused of war crimes during the Second World War is back in his native Croatia after being extradited from Argentina.

Dinko Sakic, who is 76, was commander of the Jasenovac concentration camp in Croatia in the early 1940s, and is accused of over-seeing the murder of thousands of Jews, Serbs and gypsies.

Newspapers in Zagreb say Mr Sakic may face investigating judges as early as Friday.

His lawyer said he was calm, and had "always wanted to go to Croatia to clear things up".


[ image: Pictures taken at Jasenovac during the war]
Pictures taken at Jasenovac during the war
In a decree ordering Mr Sakic's extradition, President Carlos Menem said there was "sufficient evidence to suspect that (he) committed crimes against humanity."

Dinko Salkic has lived in Argentina since 1947, one of many accused war criminals who found refuge there after World War II. Officials have created a special investigating office to track down other war criminals who may still be hiding out there.

Former SS Captain Erich Priebke was arrested in Argentina in 1995 and extradited to Italy, where he was sentenced earlier this year to life in prison for his part in the 1944 massacre at Italy's Ardeatine Caves.

Mr Sakic was located by a television documentary team in April. He denied any knowledge of atrocities committed at the Jasenovac concentration camp, which he described as a work camp.


[ image:  ]

But it is generally accepted that tens of thousands of people - mainly Serbs, Jews and gypsies - were killed, although the exact number of victims is still the subject of controversy.

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre, the Nazi-hunting organisation, puts the figure at half a million, while Croatian scholars insist it was closer to 80,000.

The Sakic trial will highlight Croatia's ambiguous role in World War II. It was ruled by the Nazi-backed Ustashe, but thousands of its citizens fought in anti-fascist partisan forces.

Correspondents say the hearings are likely re-open disputes between Serb and Croat historians over what really happened in Yugoslavia during the war.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


Relevant Stories

11 Apr 98 | Europe
Croatia seeks extradition of Nazi in Argentina





Internet Links

Simon Wiesenthal Centre

The history of Croatia on its official site


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift