Wednesday, June 3, 1998 Published at 11:37 GMT 12:37 UK
Nato's fears on Kosovo
An Albanian soldier fires a flamethrower during a military exercise in May
The Nato alliance is discussing how to contain the worsening violence in Kosovo, where fighting between Serbian forces and ethnic-Albanian separatists is causing thousands of people to flee their homes.
Nato ambassadors are meeting in Brussels to "review military preparations" decided last week by foreign ministers for possible troop deployments in Albania and Macedonia in case the Kosovo conflict spreads.
Military planners are looking at how a new force of up to 25,000 troops could be deployed along Albania's border with Kosovo.
But the plans are not yet complete, and the BBC Brussels correspondent says there is little willingness among NATO countries to go that far.
Defence ministers of the alliance are due to meet in Brussels on June 11 to discuss the next step.
A Nato spokesman said the alliance was extremely concerned, and civilians were increasingly the victims of an apparent Serbian policy to clear out areas near the Albanian border.
But the official rejected allegations by Albania that Serb security forces were carrying out an "ethnic cleansing" campaign in the rebellious ethnic Albanian-majority province.
At least 20 ethnic Albanians are said to have been killed and about 2,000 have fled into neighbouring Albania.
General Wesley Clark, Nato Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, has said there are growing reports of the use of artillery and heavy weapons by the Serbs.
The Albanian Prime Minister, Fatos Nano, has accused Serbia of "ethnic cleansing" and warned that Albania might toughen its stance on the dispute.
At least 2,000 people have crossed into neighbouring Albania to escape from an offensive by Serb forces against ethnic Albanian guerrillas.
Thousands more are reported to be hiding in hills in western Kosovo.