Page last updated at 10:55 GMT, Sunday, 11 April 2010 11:55 UK

Charlie Sheen says Two And A Half Men could end

Charlie Sheen
The star is the youngest son of actor Martin Sheen

Charlie Sheen has stoked speculation that his hit sitcom Two And A Half Men could end, saying that if the current series is the last, "so be it".

The actor issued a statement after US press speculation that he was demanding a higher salary to continue his role as libidinous bachelor Charlie Harper.

Two And A Half Men is the top-rated sitcom in the US. Sheen's salary is around $825,000 (£536,665) per episode.

The 44-year-old is due in court to face domestic violence charges in July.

If tonight's show is the end for me as Charlie Harper, so be it. Another journey has begun
Charlie Sheen

He pleaded not guilty to menacing, criminal mischief and assault in a pre-trial hearing last month.

The charges stem from an alleged altercation with his wife, Brooke Mueller Sheen, on Christmas Day 2009.

At the time, she told police Sheen had put a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her. She has since said she wants the charges dropped.

'Hasty or negligent'

Reports surfaced earlier this month that Sheen wanted a salary increase before signing up for an eighth series of Two And A Half Men.

Unnamed sources quoted in the US media said he was seeking as much as $1m (£650,000) for every episode of the show.

Two And A Half Men
The show stars Sheen as a bachelor whose brother and nephew move into his apartment after a divorce

But in a statement released to People magazine on Friday, the actor said: "All of the numbers reported in the press are false.

"Claims from 'inside sources' regarding offers from the studio as well as my salary, on their best day, are without merit."

The statement came on the last day of filming for the current series - but Sheen denied he was making a last-minute bid for more money.

"Approaching the start of the current season and as far back as June 2009, I submitted my terms for season eight to Warner Bros. and CBS respectfully.

"In no way, has this been a hasty or negligent 11th hour surprise."

However, the star signalled his willingness to walk away from the hit show altogether.

"If tonight's show is the end for me as Charlie Harper, so be it. Another journey has begun," his statement continued.

"I take from the experience 161 shows filled with a kaleidoscope of amazing experiences, memories, friendships and gratitude. I remain humbly inspired - C Sheen."

Warner Bros and CBS, who make the series, were not available for comment.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Sheen pleads not guilty in court
16 Mar 10 |  Entertainment
Actor Sheen 'set for TV return'
10 Mar 10 |  Entertainment
Sheens 'seeking reconciliation'
31 Dec 09 |  Entertainment
Sheen 'threatened to kill wife'
29 Dec 09 |  Entertainment
Sheen's stolen car found wrecked
05 Feb 10 |  Entertainment
Charlie Sheen welcomes twin boys
16 Mar 09 |  Entertainment
Judge delays Sheen court hearing
22 Jan 10 |  Entertainment

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific