Page last updated at 14:27 GMT, Monday, 29 March 2010 15:27 UK

Claudia Winkleman is named Film 2010 host

Claudia Winkleman
Claudia Winkleman hosts Strictly Come Dancing spin-off It Takes Two

Claudia Winkleman has been named as the new presenter of Film 2010, succeeding Jonathan Ross, the BBC has announced.

The star, who currently has her own weekly arts show on BBC Radio 2, said: "I am completely over the moon about being given this enormous honour."

The long-running BBC One show, which started as Film 71, was presented by film critic Barry Norman for many years, with Ross taking over in 1999.

TV presenter Winkleman will begin her new role in September.

'Incredibly proud'

"Everyone has an opinion on film and I'm looking forward to debating the biggest news and releases with a whole variety of guests each week," Winkleman said.

"I am incredibly proud to be to be presenting the new look Film 2010. It's an honour to follow on from the brilliant Jonathan Ross.

"I have been lucky enough to cover the Baftas and present the UK broadcasts of the Oscars and the Golden Globes for years and now to be able to work with the producers on Film 2010 is just amazing."

Winkleman told Richard Bacon during his show on BBC 5 live show that she still "can't quite believe it".

The presenter said she had spent the last 10 years telling BBC bosses what a big fan of the show she was and is grateful that she lives right next door to a cinema.

"When we were looking round our flat the estate agent said, 'problem is you're going to be next to a cinema, so four times a day there's going to be a long queue of people out here buying popcorn'. And I was like, 'I don't understand the downside.'"

She also explained that the format of the show would be changing slightly.

Mark Kermode
There was all this nonsense in the press about the BBC grooming Kermode and it's not true
Mark Kermode, who recently ruled himself out of the job

"And also, just so people don't panic, it's not just me, because that would be horrifying. So it will be brilliant critics and all kinds of people sharing their knowledge, because I'm rubbish on horror."

Film critic Mark Kermode, who presents film programme on 5 live with Simon Mayo, had been favourite to present the TV show.

But on Friday he ruled himself out of taking on the role.

"I'm not doing Film 2010. There was all this nonsense in the press about the BBC grooming Kermode and it's not true," he said.

"Since then there's been all this stuff in the bookies. They've never asked me, they've never approached me, nor indeed would they - and I wouldn't expect them to.

"The thing with that programme is it requires a mainstream sensibility. If you were doing that programme, why would you get that bloke who says 3D is a con?

"It's very sweet of people, but I promise you I am nothing to do with Film Whatever It Is. Please bookies, stop putting odds on me. I'm interested in seeing what they do, but that's it."

Ross announced in January that he would be leaving the BBC after 13 years.

The star's contract with the corporation expires in July.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Ross to leave BBC after 13 years
07 Jan 10 |  Entertainment
Winkleman to be new Kitchen host
23 Mar 09 |  Entertainment
New dance show for Comic Relief
23 Jan 09 |  Entertainment

RELATED BBC LINKS



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific