Page last updated at 16:37 GMT, Tuesday, 6 October 2009 17:37 UK

'Legal issues' halt Sugababes gig

Sugababes
The band filmed the video for About A Girl in the US

The new Sugababes line-up have pulled out of what should have been their first live UK appearance because of "legal issues".

The female trio had been scheduled to appear as the headline act at the Scottish Royal Variety Performance at Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall.

A statement issued on behalf of the group said there are "a number of legal issues to be finalised".

Last month, the only original band member Keisha Buchanan left the group.

The 24-year-old insisted she was pushed out, but former bandmates Heidi Range and Amelle Berrabah have since denied the claims.

Buchanan was replaced by Jade Ewen - this year's UK entrant at Eurovision.

'Personal apologies'

A statement on the Sugababes website said: "Following the recent and well documented change of line-up to Sugababes, there are a number of legal issues to be finalised by all parties in order that the band can move forward.

"Sadly, whilst these negotiations are approaching completion, it will not be possible for the band to finalise its business affairs prior to Thursday's event.

This was indeed an unavoidable decision of a contractual nature but I am delighted to confirm that all other band engagements are due to resume next week when it will be business as usual for Sugababes
Sugababes manager, Mark Hargreaves

It added that the group wanted to "extend their most sincere and personal apologies for the inevitable inconvenience and disappointment that this decision will bring to the organisers and producers of the show".

The Scottish event was being held in honour of The Royal Blind Society.

However, as the group can no longer participate, they have announced they plan to put on their own show in the future, with profits going towards the chosen charity.

Ewen's parents who are visually impaired said: "This is such a disappointment to all of us."

Their manager Mark Hargreaves said: "This was indeed an unavoidable decision of a contractual nature but I am delighted to confirm that all other band engagements are due to resume next week when it will be business as usual for Sugababes."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Sugababes deny Keisha pushed out
25 Sep 09 |  Entertainment
Not my choice to quit says Keisha
22 Sep 09 |  Entertainment

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific