Page last updated at 14:04 GMT, Wednesday, 17 June 2009 15:04 UK

New Kids cancel Australian tour

New Kids On The Block
New Kids On The Block have been touring the US

New Kids On The Block have cancelled their forthcoming Australian tour, blaming the economic downturn.

In a blog posting on their website Donnie Wahlberg said: "We are, in fact, in the middle of a worldwide recession and we just cannot make it work."

He added they had "exhausted efforts" to get the tour off the ground but it was proving to be "too complex".

Last year the band, known for Right Stuff and Hangin' Tough, reformed and released their first album in 14 years.

'Dream'

Since then the band has been touring around the US.

Wahlberg said: "In response to so many of the Aussie fans' amazing efforts and the collecting of signatures of thousands - our promoters, as well as our management team, worked incredibly hard to make an Australian tour a reality.

When the recessions stranglehold on the world's economies eases up a bit - we will find a way to make this work
Donnie Wahlberg

"Despite warnings that the financial problems plaguing the world would compromise the Australian tour - they never gave up on this dream and neither did we.

However - I'm sorry to say that now - it is true."

He said the group were "saddened" as Australia had "always been one of our favourite places to travel to".

He added: "We can only assure you that when the recession's stranglehold on the world's economies eases up a bit - we will find a way to make this work."

The group were a huge success in the early 90s, but went their separate ways in 1994.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Talking shop: New Kid Joey MacIntyre
09 Sep 08 |  Entertainment
Donnie Wahlberg to divorce wife
19 Aug 08 |  Entertainment
Hundreds watch New Kids comeback
16 May 08 |  Entertainment

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific