Page last updated at 10:21 GMT, Friday, 22 May 2009 11:21 UK

Ross's radio show no longer live

Jonathan Ross
The BBC denied reports that Ross was unhappy at the decision

Jonathan Ross's Saturday morning show on BBC Radio 2 is to be pre-recorded 24 hours in advance, the BBC has revealed.

Recording the show ahead of broadcast, "enables us to ensure the programme is watertight", said a spokeswoman.

Ross, she continued, was "absolutely on board" with the decision, as it meant "he gets his weekends back".

She said the move was unrelated to one incident, but was "a measured decision taking everything that has happened in the last few months".

She did not confirm whether listeners will be told the show had been pre-recorded when it is aired.

'Sensitive'

Ross, 48, was suspended for three months last year for his part in the Radio 2 row over lewd messages he and comedian Russell Brand left on actor Andrew Sachs' answer machine.

He resumed his Radio 2 show in January, but some of his more recent remarks have come under scrutiny.

The newspapers pounced on a remark he made in his comeback show about an elderly Spanish neighbour of co-presenter Andy Davies.

More recently, he was criticised for implying that boys who are fans of US pop star Hannah Montana are gay and should be put up for adoption.

Ross denied there was any homophobic intent behind the remark, but admitted "you need to be sensitive to avoid upsetting folk".

Radio 2's spokeswoman said that anything that did not meet its compliance guidelines would be edited out prior to broadcast.

She also denied newspaper reports that Ross was "fuming" over the decision, pointing out that his Friday night chat show on BBC One was also pre-recorded.

This week's edition of Ross's radio show was recorded on Wednesday because of the half-term break.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Actor Sachs thanks Ross and Brand
02 May 09 |  Entertainment
BBC fined 150,000 over Sachs row
03 Apr 09 |  Entertainment
BBC tightens rules on star shows
05 Mar 09 |  Entertainment
Ross radio joke defended by BBC
25 Jan 09 |  Entertainment

RELATED BBC LINKS


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific