Page last updated at 10:59 GMT, Monday, 24 November 2008

Arrested Development film 'close'

Arrested Development
The show was cancelled in 2005 despite critical acclaim

Plans for a film version of the critically-acclaimed US TV series Arrested Development appear to be a step closer to realisation.

Creator Mitch Hurwitz and producer Ron Howard have closed a deal for a feature film, reports from the US say.

The series, which starred Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Jeffrey Tambor, was cancelled in 2005 after struggling in the ratings.

The show centres around the lifestyles of the dysfunctional Bluth family.

Hurwitz will write the film and direct with help of Howard, the Hollywood Reporter said.

Howard played the quirky TV show's narrator.

The show, which was shown in the UK on BBC Two, won an Emmy for best comedy in 2004, but struggled for viewers. Network Fox pulled the show in 2005.

Both Tambor and Bateman had earlier said they were keen to take part in a big-screen version, fuelling speculation the project would be given the go-ahead.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Fox TV drops Development sitcom
12 Nov 05 |  Entertainment
BBC buys rights to hit US sitcom
03 Jan 04 |  Entertainment

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific