Page last updated at 14:18 GMT, Friday, 25 July 2008 15:18 UK

Infighting hits US actors strike

SAG rally in June 2008
Actors are working under a contract which expired last month

A breakaway group within the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) has launched a campaign to gain control of the powerful Hollywood union.

It blames the organisation's current leaders for the stalemate in contract talks with major American studios.

The group - calling itself Unite for Strength - hopes to gain a majority on the national governing board in elections in September.

It has unveiled 31 candidates, including Chicago Hope star Adam Arkin.

Other contenders include two actors from Grey's Anatomy spin-off Private Practice - Kate Walsh and Amy Brenneman - as well as Doug Savant from Desperate Housewives.

'Concern for future'

They have accused the current leadership of mishandling talks and straining relations with SAG's smaller sister union, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA).

The challenge to SAG's ruling coalition - a Hollywood-based group known as Membership First - means the stand-off is likely to drag on for another two months.

Membership First, led by SAG President Alan Rosenberg, swept to power in 2005 after pledging to get tougher with the studios in contract negotiations.

But opponents said Rosenberg's confrontational stance toward AFTRA had backfired.

Arkin said: "I'm concerned for future negotiations if we don't change the leadership that has brought us to this point."

SAG representatives did not comment on his remarks.

Old deal

SAG, which has 120,000 members, wants more money for actors when their work is released on DVD, plus a greater say in the endorsement of products on-air.

Earlier this month AFTRA approved a new prime-time TV contract with studios.

But a similar deal - which would boost the minimum wages of members by 3.5% in the first year of the contract, 3% in the second and 3.5% in the third - was later rejected by SAG.

In the absence of a new contract, SAG is working to the terms of an old deal, which expired on 30 June.

But Hollywood has slipped into a "de facto strike", with major studios halting most of their film production to avoid the possibility of costly labour disruptions.


SEE ALSO
Stalemate in US actors' pay talks
17 Jul 08 |  Entertainment
US actors' union rejects pay deal
11 Jul 08 |  Entertainment
Actors' union agrees new pay deal
09 Jul 08 |  Entertainment
De Niro speaks out against strike
06 Jul 08 |  Entertainment
Q&A: Hollywood actors' dispute
02 Jul 08 |  Entertainment
Hollywood actors mull pay offer
01 Jul 08 |  Entertainment
Actors' leader downplays strike
30 Jun 08 |  Entertainment
Hollywood on tenterhooks
27 Jun 08 |  Entertainment

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific